Reworking the tilt/trim system on my Mercury - need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Motor is a 1986 Merc 75 HP 4 cylinder (serial #0A994929) I picked up that sat up a good number of years. Great compression, but many items have deteriorated due to age/weather exposure. Reworked the engine fuel/ignition systems and replaced transmission fluid. Engine is now running great.

The trim/tilt system is described as a type "B" in the manual and has two trim cylinders, a single large tilt cylinder and an Eaton rectangular pump.

The system has 26 plus years wear and tear as well as several years of time just sitting allowing parts to dry rot. I've made the decision if I'm going to mess with the tilt/trim, I'd rather just rework the system than just fix a problem. That way I know what I've got, since this motor is on a boat that was just completely restored.

I don't want to completely rebuild the system, but want to replace the known common failure items in the system. I'd like to get a kits for the cylinders, etc. that include o-rings and other common failure items. I'd also like to pull the tilt/trim motor down and check it's brushes and such, clean the crud out and replace it's o-rings/seals as well. But after looking at the diagrams on various parts sites, I'm not sure what to buy, what kits contain what and what kits to buy and not buy to avoid duplicating parts purchases.

I have a manual that shows how to test and rework the system and have or can get any tool I need and a clean work area to do the work.

Can someone guide me in what kits/parts to buy for this system to rework it and what to look for when doing so? I know cleaning the contacts and inspecting the wires is a good idea, but should I consider replacing the wires? These are the types of things I'm not sure on.

What I mean by Rework: Replacement of o-rings, seals, brushes, etc that are common failure items in order to prevent their failure during use on an older motor, unit, etc that has sat for a long time where these types of items may have dry rot, weather damage, rust, corrosion, or other deterioration during aging. The system hasn't broken yet, but has a high level of potential to fail soon.

I've already experienced some of these failures with the engine power head fuel and electrical systems and do not wish to repeat the experience with the tilt trim when I can do preventative maintenance (rework) to avoid the problem.

I was asking for help identifying those items on this particular system. Such as which rebuild "kits" to buy, which kits include what, so I don't double buy.

An example is the valve kit for the fuel pump on this motor includes the parts of the diaphragm kit, so there is no need to buy both the valve and diaphragm kits if you're going to replace the valves.

Can someone advise?

Thank you,

Dave

Latest posts