1987 Johnson issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this motor running well, and took it out to test on the water this morning. Ran great, got up on plane, etc etc for about an hour, then all of a sudden the boat came down off plane and then the motor quit pushing the boat. I got towed in, and now when I put it in gear I can hear a little bit of a grinding sound, but it doesn't turn the prop.

Where should I start? I've never done more than change the lower unit oil or install a water pump kit on one of these.

Model # is J25ELCDR
Serial # is E6190587

Thanks in advance!

PS- if at all possible I'd like to do the work on this myself. I have another boat for fishing, so this seems like a nice rainy day project.

Jeff

If the motor is running and the props not turning when it's in gear, you start with checking the lower unit gears. The grinding sound would also send me looking in that direction.

If it's pumping water that just means that the drive shaft is turning. If the prop shaft is turning then you might just have a spun hub as your only issue. If the prop shaft isn't turning, then it's going to be an internal problem in the lower unit like gears/clutch dog etc.

Move the shifter back n forth to make sure its going in and out of gear. I'd start at the shifter on the side and check all for anything loose in the linkage before going into the lower unit.

Latest posts