40 hp Mariner 2 cyl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Wonder if anybody has one from the mid '80s. Nada says it weighs 143 lbs which is almost hard to believe. I have a bead on one and I have a tiller handle on hand ready to install. I believe most of the steering brackets were made so it would be an easy change over. My 16 ft is rated for a 40. Been debating the 30/35/40hp thing for several months now.

water bouy said:
Wonder if anybody has one from the mid '80s. Nada says it weighs 143 lbs which is almost hard to believe. I have a bead on one and I have a tiller handle on hand ready to install. I believe most of the steering brackets were made so it would be an easy change over. My 16 ft is rated for a 40. Been debating the 30/35/40hp thing for several months now.
If I am not mistaking that vintage would be a Yamaha. Sounds awfully light to me.

Yep my 30 Mariner is a Yamaha. Even if a 40 weighs 160 lbs it's still light compared to newer motors. Pretty sure I'm going to go get it this weekend.

They always advertise the lightest model. So that 143 lb is probably manual start, no oil injection, no tiller, short shaft. An electric start version is going to be a good 10 lbs more weight. I don't doubt the advertised weight because I used to pull them out of the crate & hang them on the transom by myself just using man power (no lift). Did the same with the 4 stroke 25hp Yamaha's but as I grow older, the less I want to do the manual labor thing. Look at the serial number on the motor. If it starts with something like 6H4, it's a Yamaha rebadged as a Mariner. A true Mercury/Mariner outboard will have a serial number something to the effect of 1G7733345 or whatever. Yamaha's were always a number, then a letter, then a number followed by a 5 or 6 digit number.

Same here, turbo. The 30 is more of a job to move around than it used to be.

I noticed some hood decals on those '80s 40hp have turned white. Wonder if salt water does that. The one I'm looking at is that way and salt water is a deal breaker for me.

It weighs 160 lbs and the tiller arm will add one or two more. It was the best price I've seen in 6 months and maybe the best condition except for the decal. Since the decal is white I'm not sure which one to replace it with. Looks like there were two different types around that time.

zEnGhtTl.jpg

A better view of the mystery decal.

n0wt0b4l.jpg

The paint chart Mercury emailed.

jf5V2W9l.jpg

Mariner Light Grey spray paint for 1984 and up : #92-802878-14.

water bouy said:
It weighs 160 lbs and the tiller arm will add one or two more. It was the best price I've seen in 6 months and maybe the best condition except for the decal. Since the decal is white I'm not sure which one to replace it with. Looks like there were two different types around that time.

The ones I remember during that time frame that bottom piece below the MARINER logo was multicolored starting at red or almost red at the top and layering down in bars to orangish/yellow at the bottom. But that is just relying on my memory which isn't what it used to be.

Really cool find.

When I saw your post I started looking at NADA to see the different models/weights. It was interesting to see Mariner offered a Magnum version of this engine in a 4 cylinder. It weighs a bit more though.

This might be the stickers you are looking for.

mariner-1979-1992-40-hp-decal-set-orange.png

This is where I found those.
https://garzonstudio.com/outboard/mariner/mariner-1977-1989-40-hp-decal-set-orange.html

Rob

Edit:
Just for comparison...my 1990 Johnson 40hp weights 185lbs on my scales so yours is a bit lighter.

I accidentally ordered the rainbow type you mentioned catfisher, and then thought it could be the kind you got there, Rob, but the guy on ebay wasn't reading my emails so he shipped it anyhow. The guy at garzons has been emailing today trying to figure it out too. Before long I'm going to weigh the 30 Mariner to see how much electric start added to the NADA number. The dry weights are only 30 lbs apart.

This morning I remembered a patch of color somewhere on it. Its been laying in my Montero since I bought it Sunday so I turned it over and there it was with square corners so I'm thinking it had to be the rainbow type.

K7NS0y2l.jpg

It looks just like this one to me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mariner-outboard-40-hp-cowl-hood-yamaha-/322761927885?hash=item4b261c2ccd%3Ag%3AI98AAOSwxh1ZnMLL&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=6hYU1JFq8A5mrXJXgoebac8bHKs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Had a free day so I built a stand and got it out of my vehicle. I was surprised I managed to wrestle it by my old self. Then ordered a Seloc manual and a couple of parts from marineengine. The decal set came today and they look good for $50. Looking forward to all the tinkering. This is one of the pics the seller sent.

pEqL7tFh.jpg

Fwiw, the Seloc manual is isn't much help if you have an older tiller model. Which would have been nice to know if they had mentioned it in the description.

The issue is gonna be the seven wires on the remote cable. If I knew what they did I could possibly figure out which go to the new ignition button and the kill switch. Putting the tiller handle and throttle cables on it looks pretty straightforward. A wiring diagram would be great.

Got the tiller handle and throttles cables mounted easy enough but I'm askeered to tackle the wiring. A couple of pics for the next person who does it.

pzk1faPh.jpg

7xYwMAth.jpg

The 2nd can of paint I tried was a match, #92-802878Q16. It took so much looking I almost gave up. It's supposedly for "1984 and earlier" but my motor is an '86. Had to use scissors to get the cap off.

kfe9Xhgh.jpg

I may need a simple hand drawing to hook up the ignition push button and the kill switch and I'm willing to someone pay for it. It has a 7-wire cable that went to the remote so I'm guessing a couple of those wont be used. I found this list of wire colors but my brain needs a picture.

Black = ground
Red = battery positive
Green = tachometer signal
Blue = choke
White = kill circuit
Pink = warning ground
Brown = power to starter motor relay/solenoid

peHpphel.jpg

lcPZbz9l.jpg

You won't use blue, green, nor pink for what you are going to do. Unless you hook up a buzzer.

Latest posts