Convert tiller to remote

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monriverguy

Reaction score
Hey all i have a 1965 18 hp evinrude model 18502 that i want to take off the tiller arm and make it a remote control motor. Please help !!

Thanks to all in advance

On that engine all that is needed, if I remember right, are the throttle cable and shift cable trunnions and fastening hardware. Trunnions are the small stainless pieces that attach to the lower motor pan that locks the adjustable section of the respective cable to the engine.

Yes i have all of that, i have pieced together all the controls and the old cable and drum steering i just want to remove the tiller arm with out messing any thing up in case i decide to go back to tiller . I saw on the manual to remove the grip and another screw but was kinda not sure.

Thanks

I have heard that could be done pappy but the gears on mine is getting wore out and it seems like it binds up when i try that. How hard is it to remove?

monriverguy said:
I have heard that could be done pappy but the gears on mine is getting wore out and it seems like it binds up when i try that. How hard is it to remove?
The "gears" have nothing to do with it tilting up. If you just want to remove it go for it.

They recommend removing the friction spring from under the twist grip so that it turns easier. That will help if you think it's binding. It's nice to be able to still control the motor from in back.

Latest posts