96 Mariner 25hp 2 stroke cooling problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXOnyxXx

Reaction score
we took the boat out this evening, it was pumping water out of the weep hole like normal .. shut it off to get some shad and when i restarted it there was no water coming out of the weep hole but there was alot coming from the exhaust on the backside of the legg ........ i would think water pump impeller but it has major water coming from the exhaust, so i'm thinking a blockage some where. any help is greatly appreciated!

Get some large diameter mono filament and ream out the piss hole, most likely a blockage in there.

Carphunter said:
Get some large diameter mono filament and ream out the piss hole, most likely a blockage in there.

i pulled it apart and removed the thermostat because i thought maybe it was that .. started it in can with no t-stat and the hose is clear no water from weep hole, going to drop the lower end tomorrow and replace the water pump.

Pappy said:
Always good to replace the pump impeller at the very least.
When you do this job go ahead and re-install the thermostat.
yea i was planning on a new thermostat .. had to order the water pump kit .. ughh 10 days

well i did the water pump impeller .. no water from weep hole .. no t-stat in yet so i hit it with a air blast from the compressor .. it pumpin good now .. the old pump was all there and very very pliable, so really it was still good .... crap from a old pump must be in the block so i'm gonna leave the t-stat out for awhile to see if it clogs again i can blast air in and clear it. i don't want to pull the power head unless i have to.

well 100yds out of dock she started squeeling like a pig .. i believe its toast ... now its unloaded and parked in the back lot until i make up my mind on a brand new motor or to just get rid of it. at this point i dont want to even look at it.

well it turned out the lower end bearings are cooked .... seems that the oil has disappeared from the lower it, now mind you it does not leak and was drained and refilled when i winterized the motor ... and it has been all over the lake and river trips of 40 miles each direction it was fine .. i have it narrowed down to a one week span that the oil could have been drained ... and a suspect LOL ... anyway now i get the pleasure of rebuilding the lower end ... pretty disgusted, prolly gonna let it sit till spring ...