Alumacraft 1442NCS Mercury 25hp and CMC PT-35

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HILLDADDY88

Reaction score
I have an Alumacraft 1442 NCS and just recently purchased a mercury 25hp short shaft with electric start. I didn't get the power trim and tilt because I run a lot of shallow water and need the motor to kick up if I hit a rock and then I discovered the CMC PT-35 which would give me the option to have power trim and tilt and still be safe if I hit something in the water. I guess where my question lies is I was reading the instructions and it states that when the motor is mounted to the cmc plate the cavitation plate should be roughly 1 to 3 inches above the bottom of the boat because with the 5 inch setback the water will shoot up into the motor. I figured that would be true for a much heavier boat but not for a Jon Boat. has anyone installed one of these and found that sweet spot to mount it? [-o<

That unit is meant for small boats like jons, so I would be inclined to trust their guidance.

What is supposed to be the failsafe on a PT 35 if you hit something? You will damage your motor before anything on it "failsafes" unless they have changed in the last year or so.

The fail safe is with the motor the manual trim on mercury's the motor will kick up while it's in forward if you hit something where as an electric trim option on the motor it won't kick up. So I bought the manual trim package on my new motor and then bought the cmc plate to still get the power trim! Thanks for the quick reply guys!

HILLDADDY88 said:
The fail safe is with the motor the manual trim on mercury's the motor will kick up while it's in forward if you hit something where as an electric trim option on the motor it won't kick up. So I bought the manual trim package on my new motor and then bought the cmc plate to still get the power trim! Thanks for the quick reply guys!
OK, understand. And yes you can mount it considerably higher. I also run in rocky/skinny water much of the time.

I use this contraption on mine in conjunction with a CMC unit. It stops about all my issues with rocks and bottom impacts. But I don't get in any hurry at all.

Attachments

• propguard.jpg
    propguard.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,079
On the war eagle boats that I'm normally rigging, using a PT35 with a Yamaha, I'm starting at 3" above-and adjusting from there. I've gone as high as 5" but you better have a water pressure gauge in the boat and the right prop. I don't care for the PT35 but they will work. At some point I think I am going to pick up it's bigger brother for mine (the PT130).

With a 130 you wouldn't have to make the adapter plate for a Yamaha. The 35 isn't wide enough for the bolt pattern on a 25 Yamaha, that has been my only gripe with them. I just make an adapter plate and go on.

How can I put a water pressure gauge on the motor? I just bought the spitfire 4 blade prop that was recommended on the mercury website I believe it's a 9.3x11 this is starting to seem alot more complicated than I thought it would be!