15 Johnson - add Zinc to LU ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProduceMan

Reaction score
I have an '80 15 hp Johnson that did not come with a factory zinc on the lower unit. My motor is a pull start. Questions are - are zincs only required on electric start motors? I will be using it in both soft and salt water, should I put one on there just because of usage in saltwater?

ProduceMan said:
I have an '80 15 hp Johnson that did not come with a factory zinc on the lower unit. My motor is a pull start. Questions are - are zincs only required on electric start motors? I will be using it in both soft and salt water, should I put one on there just because of usage in saltwater?

Yes, if you leave the boat in the water for any amount of time.
No if you trailer the boat to and from water, and it sits dry when you are done.

Up to you. Technically, fresh water requires a magnesium anode and salt water requires a zinc anode.
Having electric start has nothing to do with corrosion. Corrosion is caused by two dissimilar metals in close proximity to each other or touching each other in a conductive medium. Salt water is a very good conductor and what happens is that by placing your engine in salt water the salt/aluminum and stainless steel is creating a battery with the aluminum castings being the sacrificial anode to the stainless steel parts.
Short answer is yes. Place at least a zinc on the gearcase. Keep the zinc clean, you will notice that a white coating will start to cover the zinc. Try and keep that at bay. What you want is a zinc that is sacrificing itself, not one that looks good!
As far as not needing one if you trailer? You decide. While it is in the water it needs it. Zincs are inexpensive and replaceable.

Thank you Pappy. There is a hydrofoil on the motor. Will the zinc have enough effect if it is bolted on top of the foil if the mounting bolts are contacting the cav plate?

Latest posts