2006 mercury 9.9 4 str prokicker electric choke also bad gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyo3629

Reaction score
engine will not start cold unless choke is manually closed.
pushing in the ign switch..the choke solenoid does nothing.
i checked the fuse and its ok.

checked for power to the solenoid connector when ign switch pushed...test light did not light. (i grounded the light to the battery neg).
i applied 12 volts from the battery to the solenoid and it barely moved. shouldnt it go all the way in?

any ideas?

ALSO......we started the cold engine yesterday in the parking lot, cranked forever to start..ran it for about maybe 8 seconds (easier than doing it on the water) and while idling to warm up after launched , it sounded like it was loading up and stalled and would not restart.
on the water, changed plugs..no help.

got home..checked for spark...yes.
checked fuel filter...clean.
pumped fuel out at the filter with bulb.....was orange.my first thought was rust in the fuel..but its a plastic 12 gallon tank. immediately thought bad gas since i added 5 gals couple of hours before at a station.
siphoned out the gas and it looks yellow...still think its bad.
took the siphon hose and wrapped a white rag around it and swabbed the bottom of the tank.....nothing.
why the diff in color?
i had drained the tank in april and added 5 gallons fresh gas. we took the boat out 2 weeks ago and it ran like a champ..save the cold start issue.
what causes the gas to be orange?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 520

Latest posts