1986 mercury 50 control box help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireAaron86

Reaction score
Hey guys, Please forgive me if this is a dumb question, But I have relentlessly searched everywhere to try and find a top side control box for this motor without any luck. (Im a little on the internet search dumb side) What I have done is turned my bass tracker from a side console into a center console and Instead of mounting the control box on the side, I would like to have a top mount control box purely for aesthetic reasons. Is this possible to do or do I have to stick with the side type control box because of how old the motor is? It has a quick silver side control box with out trim currently. Thanks for any help!

Check out UFlex, they make a B77 binnacle top mount for OBs with trim, maybe they make the same without it.

I was once in your situation and couldn't get a reasonably priced top binnacle control for an older OMC motor. Luckily the side control I had could be configured to be mounted on the left side of the boat or on the right side - which it was set at. I switched it to a 'left mount', which meant it fastened to a bulkhead being on the left, and I simply mounted it on the center console, but on the right-hand edge.

It wasn't as ideal as a top mount, of course - but it worked! If your key switch is integral to your control box, you can always move that part of the harness, with the warning horn, to somewhere else under the helm. Try and find a simple OB top-mounted control box, even check eBay. You'd want one with the start-in-neutral switch.

DaleH said:
Check out UFlex, they make a B77 binnacle top mount for OBs with trim, maybe they make the same without it.

I was once in your situation and couldn't get a reasonably priced top binnacle control for an older OMC motor. Luckily the side control I had could be configured to be mounted on the left side of the boat or on the right side - which it was set at. I switched it to a 'left mount', which meant it fastened to a bulkhead being on the left, and I simply mounted it on the center console, but on the right-hand edge.

It wasn't as ideal as a top mount, of course - but it worked! If your key switch is integral to your control box, you can always move that part of the harness, with the warning horn, to somewhere else under the helm. Try and find a simple OB top-mounted control box, even check eBay. You'd want one with the start-in-neutral switch.

Thank you sir!

Latest posts