Gas spillage question,Evinrude 6hp converted to Briggs motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 68 Evinrude 6hp outboard that I converted to a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton power head. When I go to tip the motor up I get gas spilling out of the gas cap. I was wondering how I can fix this? Maybe a non vented fuel cap? I need to be able to tip the motor up to come into shore without fuel spilling into the water. Thanks.

Attachments

• Evinrude.jpg
    Evinrude.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,317
The cap has to be vented for the engine to run. You might be able to create a longer neck on the tank that stays above the tank when you tip it up. You could also put a non vented cap on it and open it just a little to vent while running and close it before tipping it up. Whichever way you go you do want to make sure there is no fuel leaking into the waterway. The fines for that are astronomical.

KMixson said:
The cap has to be vented for the engine to run. You might be able to create a longer neck on the tank that stays above the tank when you tip it up. You could also put a non vented cap on it and open it just a little to vent while running and close it before tipping it up. Whichever way you go you do want to make sure there is no fuel leaking into the waterway. The fines for that are astronomical.

That's a good idea. I think if I could find a cap with a vent that screws open and closed, that would work for my application too. I saw a cap like that on a larger boat once.

Outboards with a tank always have that...

this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/7012515YP-Snapper-Engine-Rider-Mowers/dp/B01JKDC8SE/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_lp_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K4ZT1ZR4W8J2AWQJFCHR

Shaugh said:
Outboards with a tank always have that...

this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/7012515YP-Snapper-Engine-Rider-Mowers/dp/B01JKDC8SE/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_lp_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K4ZT1ZR4W8J2AWQJFCHR

Thank you for the link

I found a solution to my problem. I ended up using a non vented fuel cap from a 5 gallon gas can and drilling a hole in the top and installing a one way breather valve like you would find on a dirt bike. Air in, no gas spillage.

You can use a regular boat tank and hose with primer bulb and buy a pulse type fuel pump just tap valve cover and put I/8 inch pipe Nipple to make fuel pump work

DaleH said:
bikerider said:
Air in, no gas spillage.
When not in use and the vapors expand, will that valve allow them to escape?

That's a good question. I have had this setup on the motor for a few months now with no problems, however I have the motor stored in the garage and have only briefly had it on the water for a test run. I guess time will tell if it will hold up.

Mr1542 said:
You can use a regular boat tank and hose with primer bulb and buy a pulse type fuel pump just tap valve cover and put I/8 inch pipe Nipple to make fuel pump work

This is the setup I want to eventually go with. I think it will work better for longer trips out on the water.

Latest posts