Etec vs Yamaha vs Mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new boat within the next few months and am considering options for motors.

The boat will be a 16' deep V tiller, with 25-40hp.

I'm considering G3, Alumacraft, and Tracker primarily.

G3 offers Yamaha exclusively, and Trackers only come with Mercury. Alumacraft's website shows Honda, Yamaha, Evinrude, and Mercury, but the local dealer only seems to sell Evinrude.

I only have experience with an older 2 stroke Mercury, and am not a fan of them as a whole. The 4 strokes seem noisier than the rest, but I haven't spent much time with them. Any input from Mercury owners is appreciated.

The Etecs seem to be the front runner when it comes to weight and performance, but the direct injection system has me a little worried about long term reliability and serviceability.

Yamaha seems smooth, quiet, and reliable, but heavy.

Any input on the best choice?

The more you read about 4 stroke outboards the more you will hear about Yamaha.
They show up around the world, everywhere. Many are diesels outside the US.
I have a 115 hp and it is the best engine I have ever had except for my Ford 7.3 diesel.

There are some interesting etec vs Yamaha videos on YouTube. A lot of etecs where I fish and you can hardly hear them go by. Reliability wise I think all 3 are good choices. As far as longevity, remember the direct injection is an electronic component, as far as the two stroke engine, it has way less moving parts than a 4 stroke. Small Mercs are Tohatsu and have a good reputation as well. Any of them used properly and serviced, should make a great gift to your grandchildren. Next week I am taking my 1983 35hp jonnyrude on an interior camping/fishing trip where I am confident it will get us in and out. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as i posted a couple weeks back,brp(owns evinrude) purchased alumacraft.if you're in the market for new i imagine they will be packaged as an alumacraft/e tec combo very soon.my last boat was a g3 with a yamaha 15 4 stroke.didn't care for the yamaha carb combo so i swapped for a tohatsu efi.only maker with a short shaft/power tilt/trim 25 horse.my current combo is an alumacraft escape 145 console with an etec 40.man,i could not be happier.way nicer than the lund,princecraft or mirrocraft in terms of console setup,storage,width,engine hp limits.and it moves at around 30 mph at wot with a 13.25x 15 prop.you'll be surprised when you compare engine warranties and incentives as well. etec has a no service for 300 hours or 3 years,no break in and a 10 year warranty. nobody else comes remotely close to that.it also has the highest amp output which is great if you want to run a 2 bank alternator charger.

I can give you some insight on Etecs as I have owned a half dozen of them- only in snowmobile motor format. They are proven and reliable. My 800 Etec is the best, most powerful, lightest and most reliable motor package I have ever owned in a sled. I have 8500 miles on my current 2013 Ski Doo 800 Etec. It's good on gas too. If I had to list one downfall it would be this... if you tend to be a guy that likes to work on your own equipment (I am), you will find it hard on an Etec. BRP has and continues to do everything in their power to keep owners from being able to put wrenches their equipment. I do all my own service and I bought a fairly expensive software package to do certain things. If you want to clean your reed valves, you need to reset them through the ECU using the Bombardier software. If you lose a key you need to reprogram your ECU to accept the new one which is RFID coded. But if you tend to let the dealer do your maintenance then this is no concern.

One cool feature of the Etecs is the self storage function. Push a button and it will fog itself for storage.

The three boat motors I currently own are all Mercurys. Two smokers and one four stroke. They have been rock solid reliable as well but none are fuel injected.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
There are some interesting etec vs Yamaha videos on YouTube. A lot of etecs where I fish and you can hardly hear them go by. Reliability wise I think all 3 are good choices. As far as longevity, remember the direct injection is an electronic component, as far as the two stroke engine, it has way less moving parts than a 4 stroke. Small Mercs are Tohatsu and have a good reputation as well. Any of them used properly and serviced, should make a great gift to your grandchildren. Next week I am taking my 1983 35hp jonnyrude on an interior camping/fishing trip where I am confident it will get us in and out. Just saying

Speaking of family heirlooms, yesterday I was working on a 1929 Johnson 1.5 hp motor that has been in the family since 1948. We used it as kids to run a dinghy. When I was 12 years old, I camped with 3 friends on an island in Chesapeake Bay for a week. We did it twice. That was around 1962. Yesterday working on that old Johnson I was 12 years old again right back there on the Bay. That was 56 years ago.

ppine said:

Speaking of family heirlooms, yesterday I was working on a 1929 Johnson 1.5 hp motor that has been in the family since 1948. We used it as kids to run a dinghy. When I was 12 years old, I camped with 3 friends on an island in Chesapeake Bay for a week. We did it twice. That was around 1962. Yesterday working on that old Johnson I was 12 years old again right back there on the Bay. That was 56 years ago.
Great memories. It’s fun to share with the kids. My boys will be using a 1971 Johnson 4hp.

I can't say anything bad about any one product these days, that said go with the one that has the most service near you, or the best service near you.

Those who make a living on boats use Yamaha. You can never go wrong or have any regrets with Yamaha, so that's what I'd go with if you have a choice.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

How do prices compare between them all?

They finally opened a new local 650 acre lake to the public last week that has a 25 hp limit, and at the same time, upped the existing local 10hp restricted lake to 25hp as well. I have been running a 1992 9.9hp (modified to 15hp) Johnson on my 1648 Alumacraft flatbottom but with the new higher hp limits have been looking at new 25hp 4 strokes. I need a short shaft and would like electric start, EFI, and PT&T. My local Tohatsu dealer claims they offer all of those features at $4100 which seems pretty cheap, however, that motor/options comes in a t 180 something lbs. I'd prefer a Yamaha honestly but I figure they will be a good bit more.

Don’t be afraid of the tohatsu. The 20 might be worth a look for you as the motors are grouped 15-20, 25-30. The 20 will be cheaper and lighter and probably not much slower on your boat. Lots of good reviews on them. The likelihood of you doing any major repairs or warranty work on this motor should it be required is low. I would choose the brand carried by a local dealer who you like and has a good reputation over one farther away.

Don’t be afraid of the tohatsu. The 20 might be worth a look for you as the motors are grouped 15-20, 25-30. The 20 will be cheaper and lighter and probably not much slower on your boat. Lots of good reviews on them. The likelihood of you doing any major repairs or warranty work on this motor should it be required is low. I would choose the brand carried by a local dealer who you like and has a good reputation over one farther away.

I'm definitely not afraid of the Tohatsu brand. My concern would be more so wit the dealer. My local dealer with the great prices is Backwoods Landing in Alabama. Pretty popular place, even on this forum, as they are a big time Weldbilt dealer and offer the best prices on those too. I don't have any issues with them but their dealership is a tiny trailer with a small lean to off the side they use as a shop and boat rigging place. Last I heard they just had one Tohatsu mechanic who only worked there a couple days a week. I would have concerns about that. There are other dealers within 1.5 hours of me but I doubt they can beat Backwoods prices.

wmk0002 said:

They finally opened a new local 650 acre lake to the public last week that has a 25 hp limit, and at the same time, upped the existing local 10hp restricted lake to 25hp as well. I have been running a 1992 9.9hp (modified to 15hp) Johnson on my 1648 Alumacraft flatbottom but with the new higher hp limits have been looking at new 25hp 4 strokes. I need a short shaft and would like electric start, EFI, and PT&T. My local Tohatsu dealer claims they offer all of those features at $4100 which seems pretty cheap, however, that motor/options comes in a t 180 something lbs. I'd prefer a Yamaha honestly but I figure they will be a good bit more.

I don't think there is a huge difference in price, but I don't have much to go by.

I have also thought about buying the boat and motor separately, it's not like a tiller motor is hard to setup. I don't know how that is going to work with financing.

wmk0002 said:

I paid $3,650.00 for my 2017 Yamaha F25SWHC (short shaft, electric start, tiller handle) last fall, it weighs in at 132 pounds (a major factor for me), unfortunately they don't offer PT&T on the short shaft. I couldn't be more happy with it.

Yamaha just started their summer sales promotion, on a 25 you'll get $300 in dealer credit.

you will be hard pressed to find a power tilt/trim in anything under a 30 hp short shaft.unless you shell out for an aftermarket cmc or similar.that's why i went with tohatsu 25,it was the only one offering pt/t in a s/s and it was a **** good engine.and any mercury dealer can service it.

25hp is about all I can speak about.

ETEC 25 is a heavy, expensive pig. "Less moving parts" is a misnomer....the ENGINE itself has fewer moving parts but what they don't tell you is that the high pressure fuel pump, injectors, regulator...those all contain moving parts. Once it's all said and done, you have just as many moving parts as a 4 stroke. A 25 ETEC weighs 166 lbs; at least the one I weighed did. A new Yamaha 25 is 130 (short shaft electric start manual tilt). 30 lb difference there. ETEC requires THEIR oil; if you plan on using anyone else's oil, you've got to have the ECU flashed and then your fuel economy drops a little too (and oil usage goes up....sound familiar? Think Volkswagen....). Runs cleaner? Only if you use THEIR oil on their tune. The ETEC is also expensive to buy...and after the warranty's up, to repair. Best I remember, the ones I was looking at were in the $5500 range (electric start models). Also look at the charging system. 56A total, and 15A dedicated. That means that the electrical system to RUN the engine (injectors, ecu, etc) draws 41 amps.

Quite a few duck hunters out here bought into the ETEC 25's when they first came out, and initially they absolutely LOVED them. Now that a minute or two has passed, those who still own them don't much care for 'em. The ones who still say they love 'em, are usually die hard 2 stroke lovers and/or Evinrude brand-loyalists--although Evinrude is not the same as it used to be (BRP vs OMC). Some just prefer to own the name I guess.

Take a ride on a stream or lake that has a few rental boats/motors and/or guide boats. You'll see more Yamaha than anything-for lots of reasons.

Tohatsu ain't a bad motor either....I'll give them credit. There are things I don't like about them though, such as the shifting, they're a little louder in the foot area, don't care for the appearance, they're a little heavy...but they run nice being that they're 3 cylinder engines. But there's the weight penalty along with the 3rd cylinder. Mercury, Nissan, and Tohatsu 25hp are all the same exact motor except the paint and decals.

Turbotodd, do the new 25hp Yamahas have significant vibration at low speeds? I have read that a couple of places and in a couple of videos on them it appeared like the tiller was vibrating the drivers hand a lot. Not really a huge, deal but obviously would rather have it smooth in all ranges.

turbotodd said:
25hp is about all I can speak about.

ETEC 25 is a heavy, expensive pig. "Less moving parts" is a misnomer....the ENGINE itself has fewer moving parts but what they don't tell you is that the high pressure fuel pump, injectors, regulator...those all contain moving parts. Once it's all said and done, you have just as many moving parts as a 4 stroke. A 25 ETEC weighs 166 lbs; at least the one I weighed did. A new Yamaha 25 is 130 (short shaft electric start manual tilt). 30 lb difference there. ETEC requires THEIR oil; if you plan on using anyone else's oil, you've got to have the ECU flashed and then your fuel economy drops a little too (and oil usage goes up....sound familiar? Think Volkswagen....). Runs cleaner? Only if you use THEIR oil on their tune. The ETEC is also expensive to buy...and after the warranty's up, to repair. Best I remember, the ones I was looking at were in the $5500 range (electric start models). Also look at the charging system. 56A total, and 15A dedicated. That means that the electrical system to RUN the engine (injectors, ecu, etc) draws 41 amps.

Quite a few duck hunters out here bought into the ETEC 25's when they first came out, and initially they absolutely LOVED them. Now that a minute or two has passed, those who still own them don't much care for 'em. The ones who still say they love 'em, are usually die hard 2 stroke lovers and/or Evinrude brand-loyalists--although Evinrude is not the same as it used to be (BRP vs OMC). Some just prefer to own the name I guess.

Take a ride on a stream or lake that has a few rental boats/motors and/or guide boats. You'll see more Yamaha than anything-for lots of reasons.

Tohatsu ain't a bad motor either....I'll give them credit. There are things I don't like about them though, such as the shifting, they're a little louder in the foot area, don't care for the appearance, they're a little heavy...but they run nice being that they're 3 cylinder engines. But there's the weight penalty along with the 3rd cylinder. Mercury, Nissan, and Tohatsu 25hp are all the same exact motor except the paint and decals.

Sounds pretty much like the rest of BRP's lineup. Incredible performance at the cost of longevity and serviceability.

i would take everything turbotod says with a grain of salt.10 year warranty because it's a piece of junk?right.and it's heavier because it has the power tilt/trim.we all know how bad those 40 year old evinrudes are that alot of guys are still running.and we all know the bottom end grunt of the etec sucks too,right? lets not gloss over the almost double power output of them.25 amps dedicated. sounds like sour grapes to me.my last evinrude lasted almost 30 years.post in 30 years and tell us how your yamaha is doing.if you have it flashed to run xp 100 you use almost half the oil as xp 50.i run all day and use maybe 3 liters of fuel,so any difference is marginal at best,and i haven't filled my oil tank since i got it in march,so i call bs.i can tell you right now,for me,my 40 etec burns less fuel and has more power and is smoother running than my 25 tohatsu,and i loved that motor.

Latest posts