motor compression

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
How does compression affect speed on smaller outboards and what would be considered 'like new'. Seems like I've read that from the factory it's 140 or 150 psi.

Supposing a 25 hp Evinrude has 140 on both cylinders and a 30 hp has 125 compression, would the 25 keep up with the 30, all else being equal?

Anything over 90 will run.. If it's under 80 it will be hard to start.. it is a very slight effect on the top speed
125 psi is still fine and may not even reach 140 when new.
Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

As long as it has enough compression to run the only thing higher compression with do is give it more power. The actual speed you will see will be negligible.

Compression numbers are only that....for the most part.
They are all over the board from engine to engine..mfr. to mfr. and sometimes year to year.
That is why, when you are "checking" an engine the only real spec that matters is that the compression should be within around 10% from piston to piston. On a V block one side will always be a bit less than the other because as the pistons rock to the side one bank closes the exhaust ports a bit earlier than the other.
Will higher compression give you higher horsepower? In almost all cases it will however from horsepower to horsepower a larger cu. in. engine may be the better choice. Loop charging over cross-flow etc, Gearcase size, gear ratios (rather have a ratio that can swing higher pitched propellers for efficiency), Through-hub exhaust vs. old style....lots play into what engine is good for what and lots of choices out there...... I do like your thought process on this though! Just figured I would add a bit to it.

Latest posts