Motor height options.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so I’m going to take the old rotten floor and 2x10 transom out of my boat this weekend. As I was looking at it I noticed the motor appears to be about 1 3/4” too low. I’ve got a Johnson sea horse 25 on it right now, with just a clamp, no adjustable mounting plate. It appears there is a spacer in the shaft to make it longer, and that removing that shaft extension would bring the cavitation plate up to just above the bottom of the transom.

Now I’m wondering if that is the case and if so, do I shorten the shaft? Alternatively I could clamp it on there higher when I re mount the motor, or shape the new transom wood to have a bump up to bring it in line. This is a low budget boat, and I’m hoping I can just use this motor as it runs pretty well (needs a little tuning but overall it’s sound as far as I can tell.) I’m not opposed to putting on some kind of mounting bracket, or even selling this motor and getting a more suitable one if I really need to.

So what do you all think?

Attachments

• B4240ADE-C2A6-46B0-A1B7-9A7FCA2E1DED.jpeg
    B4240ADE-C2A6-46B0-A1B7-9A7FCA2E1DED.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 810
  • 2BEC6EC3-625A-4BEE-8468-85036AF63B83.jpeg
    2BEC6EC3-625A-4BEE-8468-85036AF63B83.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 810
  • 7592C3B9-5630-4B04-8ABE-D070F46A6AA2.jpeg
    7592C3B9-5630-4B04-8ABE-D070F46A6AA2.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 810
I think your right it’s sitting a little too low.

Maybe just add a small spacer but by lifting it your only gaining a few MPH and a little more shallow draft.

If neither of those a critical to you than you would be fine leaving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your motor is a short shaft that has been converted to long shaft.. make your new transom board 20" from the bottom of the boat to the top of the board

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

As you can see, those motors used the same lower unit for long and short shafts, and just used a spacer above the water pump.

To convert it to a short shaft, you will need the short drive shaft, water tube, and (I think) shift shaft.

I'm in a similar situation, I have the same motor but with a short shaft, and it is still a bit long even on a short transom.

If it were mine, I would purchase or build a jack plate.

I’d just build up a new transom for the long-shaft, to make it right. And in my neck of the world, long-shaft boats & motors carry a premium over short-shaft ones. New U-channel will suffice for the transom cap.

I’d just build up a new transom for the long-shaft, to make it right. And in my neck of the world, long-shaft boats & motors carry a premium over short-shaft ones. New U-channel will suffice for the transom cap.

Latest posts