merc 25hp transom saver

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyr4efect

Reaction score
On my last boat I used a Motormate on my 60 yam. Loved it. Motormate only does 2/stroke bigger mercs.
Any suggestions from merc 25 or similar size engine owners.

fyr4efect said:
On my last boat I used a Motormate on my 60 yam. Loved it. Motormate only does 2/stroke bigger mercs.
Any suggestions from merc 25 or similar size engine owners.

I don't see it as being necessary on smaller motors, unless the trailer is really low.

They're nice on big motors, as the skeg will often drag when trimmed down all the way, and there is a lot of weight bouncing around on the transom when trimmed up and not supported.

I'm sure one can be modified pretty easily if you're handy with a welder.

My previous boat had a 25 4-stroke mercury with PTT. I used the transom saver mainly to protect my PTT as opposed to the transom. I did not want the outboard resting on the tilt lock bracket. Additionally, I wanted the skeg higher than the rear-most trailer frame. Finally, if the mfg says a transom saver is a good idea then that is good enough for me.

My trailer did not have a rear roller. I used the once pictured below. Never had an issue with it.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 10.20.52 AM.png

LDUBS said:
My previous boat had a 25 4-stroke mercury with PTT. I used the transom saver mainly to protect my PTT as opposed to the transom. I did not want the outboard resting on the tilt lock bracket. Additionally, I wanted the skeg higher than the rear-most trailer frame. Finally, if the mfg says a transom saver is a good idea then that is good enough for me.

My trailer did not have a rear roller. I used the once pictured below. Never had an issue with it.

I am getting the 25hp electric PTT so that's the kind of info I am looking for. Thx LDUBS.

There is no need for a transom saver.
Your engine, going down the road imposes a bunch less load on the transom that it will running at WOT.....add rough water to that and your transom is still easily able to handle the load.
Your PTT will also handle several times what a few bumps in the road will impose on it.
A trip on the trailer is child's play to a transom.

Pappy said:
There is no need for a transom saver.
Your engine, going down the road imposes a bunch less load on the transom that it will running at WOT.....add rough water to that and your transom is still easily able to handle the load.
Your PTT will also handle several times what a few bumps in the road will impose on it.
A trip on the trailer is child's play to a transom.

I agree if it were just driving down the road. I have to 4X4 occasionally to a launch and have concerns with skeg clearance. Still waiting on my Grizzly 1448 but the ones I have seen on the trailer they come with don't sit very high. My question is not if but which one. Appreciate your input Pappy.

Transom saver are money well spent imo. Especially the new 4S motors which are tanks.
I have a Panther brand one on my 30 2 stroke and it works well, it is a frame mount, not a roller mount .

I hate watching a motor bounce around while trailering it, with the Transom saver it doesn't move a bit.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
Transom saver are money well spent imo. Especially the new 4S motors which are tanks.
I have a Panther brand one on my 30 2 stroke and it works well, it is a frame mount, not a roller mount .

I hate watching a motor bounce around while trailering it, with the Transom saver it doesn't move a bit.

The Panther looks like the Cabelas trailer [ non-roller ] mount. Does the shaft just slide out from the trailer mount when you remove it?

Yes.. there is a mount on the trailer and you give it a half turn to get it in and out.
fyr4efect said:
GYPSY400 said:

The Panther looks like the Cabelas trailer [ non-roller ] mount. Does the shaft just slide out from the trailer mount when you remove it?

I have a tracker 1448 sc with a 25 hp merc.
**** thing weighs a ton, 157 lbs to be exact.
I use a similar version of the cabela motor toter, the saver has a pin that the shaft goes onto a mount installed on the trailer axle/ crossmember.
I am a transom saver "believer", it eliminates a lot of bounce and flex, Especially on backroads. I've used transom savers on all boats I've owned, whether bass or Jon.

ace57 said:
I have a tracker 1448 sc with a 25 hp merc.
**** thing weighs a ton, 157 lbs to be exact.
I use a similar version of the cabela motor toter, the saver has a pin that the shaft goes onto a mount installed on the trailer axle/ crossmember.
I am a transom saver "believer", it eliminates a lot of bounce and flex, Especially on backroads. I've used transom savers on all boats I've owned, whether bass or Jon.

Is your 25 a short or long shaft?

20" long shaft model 25 EL. 'L' denotes long shaft from merc.
Unfortunately mine is not a PT. :(
Mine is stock outfitted from bass pro.
I don't think they outfitted that 1448 transom with a short shaft....too deep/ long from motor bracket to bottom of hull (~ 21 inches by my measure)

ace57 said:
20" long shaft model 25 EL. 'L' denotes long shaft from merc.
Unfortunately mine is not a PT. :(
Mine is stock outfitted from bass pro.
I don't think they outfitted that 1448 transom with a short shaft....too deep/ long from motor bracket to bottom of hull (~ 21 inches by my measure)

So no jack plate? Where does your cavitation plate hit in relation to the bottom transom? I think the long shaft is 21.7 in. from clamps to cav plate.
The 2019 1448 transom is 17.5 in. What kind of numbers you getting RPM wot etc

With power trim/tilt motors, for road clearance I just raise up the motor and put a hunk of 2 x 4 in there. I doubt it hurts anything, as have been doing it for 40-years.

To fyr4efect:
The cav plate is within 1 inch or so to bottom of transom.
No, no jack plate or tachometer so I don't know about rpm.
I do know that with the 10x8 3 blade prop that came with it, the over rev warning light (or prop slip) was coming on at wot.
So I put a 9.5x 9.5 3blade on and the warning went away, figured it dropped the rpm by a couple hundo.
With both of these props I'm doing gps about 21.5 knots (24 3/4 mph) with just me, equipment. 2 batteries etc.
I'd like to get a little more, might try an 11 pitch, but I dk if the trade off to further lower the rpm for more pitch will help- might hurt top speed.
It does get on plane pretty quick.
I really like my little Jon with the exception of no trim n tilt. It is quite a bit slower than my last Champion bass boat obviously :roll:
I have a picture of it on this site in the 'post a pix of your boat' area.

ace57 said:
To fyr4efect:
I do know that with the 10x8 3 blade prop that came with it, the over rev warning light (or prop slip) was coming on at wot.
So I put a 9.5x 9.5 3blade on and the warning went away, figured it dropped the rpm by a couple hundo.
With both of these props I'm doing gps about 21.5 knots (24 3/4 mph) with just me, equipment. 2 batteries etc.
I'd like to get a little more, might try an 11 pitch, but I dk if the trade off to further lower the rpm for more pitch will help- might hurt top speed.
I really like my little Jon with the exception of no trim n tilt. It is quite a bit slower than my last Champion bass boat obviously :roll:

Ill be happy with 25mph. Thx for all the info. All helpful. I'm picking up my 1448 this morning[no motor] I'll be talking to the maintenance guys at Cabelas about a long shaft, mini jacker etc. I will get a "tiny tach" so I can ck out rpm. Merc prop selector recommends a a 9.5x 12.5 for me, gear, 25hp on 1448. Im thinking a 11 pitch. I'll ck out your boat pix.

ace57 said:
To fyr4efect:

From what I could see your transom looks taller than the newer 1448. Nice boat.I am leaving now to pick mine up and irritate the Cabelas guys.

Fyr:
Funny I was at bass pro today and I looked at the 1448mvx hull, and measured it with my arm.
Got home and measured mine, u right, my transom is taller.
It looks as though the 1448mvx transom is angled down from the rear corners of the stern, sort of tapered.
Now I understand the line of your questions.
Enjoy your new boat!
Ace57

ace57 said:
Fyr:
Funny I was at bass pro today and I looked at the 1448mvx hull, and measured it with my arm.
Got home and measured mine, u right, my transom is taller.
It looks as though the 1448mvx transom is angled down from the rear corners of the stern, sort of tapered.
Now I understand the line of your questions.
Enjoy your new boat!
Ace57

Picked it up this am. I love it! Spoke with the cabelas people and they agreed with the mini jacker which I will mount. Ordered a merc 25 ELHPT and a black max 9.25x 11.25 prop. Done.
I'll post pix when I get the motor on the jacker. Thx for your info.

Latest posts