Trying out props

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmelton

Reaction score
I am running a 40 evinrude on a 97 Lowe 160spl. I’m 250lbs, and may fish with one other. We don’t have much gear I’m a minimalist when it comes to gear. There is a 13x11 prop installed on the motor now, and I’m only getting. 25.4 mph, per garmin gps.
This seems a little slow for the boat. I’m installing a tiny tach, to see what rpm’s I’m running.

Everything I have read leans towards a 12.25x15 prop. Since I’m new to the world of outboards, is there anyway to test drive props to see what would work best. What prop would you start with to get the best performance out of my boat?

I have attached the boat specs. Thanks for the advise.
d29dd201e9473b9f43e8f16d157c5b40.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boat is an older vee hull but the tale of the tape is very similar 15’10”, 68” beam and 300 lbs. I run a 35 with a 13 pitch prop (it’s an 83 so probably 30 propshaft hp). The tach will be a good tool but I’ll bet a 15 pitch would be right on that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need to forget MPH on those boats and focus on RPMs. Shoot for the sweet spot right under maximum rating and prop it to get there under your normal load.

NC has hit the nail on the head. Forget what pitch you think you should run and find out what RPM the engine turns at WOT trimmed out to optimum with your average load onboard. RPM dictates what prop you run.
............Start from there.............

I'm thinking the 15 will be too much pitch as well.
I had a 2 stroke 40hp on a 16' hull and 13 pitch was pretty bang on, that's on a boat with only a 6 degree deadrise. The brochure doesn't say or I didn't see what type hull yours is.
Like mentioned already the tach will tell you what pitch prop to buy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Try this, I have used it on 6 boats so far since 2015, including my latest 21' deep-V hull, and their recommended props have been PERFECT everytime!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37433

Latest posts