Cam Follower Retainer O-Ring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_bates

Reaction score
This one is for Pappy, but any help is appreciated.
I have a 1993 Johnson 15hp Tiller, and the O-Ring (#3 in the diagram) that keeps the cam follower in place keeps either coming off or deteriorating, which causes the cam follower to come off and of course the engine will only go idle speed. The issue is, this happens every 4 months or so. I had this engine for 3 years with no issues, and after the first time this happened, I keep losing o-rings. And yes, this boat/engine is stored outside. Most recently, my friend borrowed my boat, and it happened to him, but this time the cam follower and linkage fell somewhere down the motor and he was unable to locate it.
So, my 2 questions are:
1) Am I installing this O-Ring wrong, and;
2) Will the "lost" cam follower cause any damage, wherever it might have gone?

Also, I am currently back in Afghanistan, so I cannot take pics of the actual engine, but carb diagrams are enclosed. What say you, oh great and knowledgable Pappy? (Does flattery work on this forum?)

Attachments

• Carb Diagram.JPG
    Carb Diagram.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,031
  • Carb Diagram Close up.JPG
    Carb Diagram Close up.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,031
Well the good news is that in 1993 the engine was built using pan halves that you simply unscrew and separate and anything you have lost falls out onto the ground where it will usually be lost again!
Now, on to the o-ring. Are you using an OEM O-ring? If not....use one, they last. Are you spraying the engine down with anything?

From what you write I am taking for granted that you are in the service?
If I am right then "Thank you!" for your service to this country. It is the Christmas Season and I take it you will be overseas doing your job and missing your family. We owe you a debt of gratitude for this.
We can surely use more men and women (like you) who respect this country and are willing to serve it.

Pappy,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using the OEM o-ring, and coating it with marine grease. It's just weird how after the first one failed, it happens again every 4-5 months. I even check it at the boat ramp before I launch now. Nice to know the missing piece won't cause any damage though.

As for the military, I retired in 2008 (20 years of service), but I am depolyed as a civilian contractor through Dept of Energy (really lucky in that regard). I do not have very long deployments, but come over to Afghanistan/Iraq about 3-4 times a year, and usually for 2 months at a time. The fantastic part is my time home is all mine, no desk job; so really I would call this semi-retired? But I do appreciate the gratitude, and yes, I absolutely respect this country and am willing to serve.

Thank you again Sir, and God Bless!!!

Keep the grease off the O-ring. That assembly needs no lubrication and actually will work a bit better dry.
The grease may be attacking the O-ring. Am curious if this is the answer so if you have a new O-ring, install minus any lubrication and get back to the forum after you are satisfied that may be the cause. If not I honestly cannot offer much else.
You DO need to find the cam follower and re-install it. The engine does need it for proper pick-up timing of the carb relative to the timer base. What I mentioned was that you were lucky in that you can unbolt your lower pan halves and easily retrieve the pieces. Hint.....put a tarp or something large enough below the area that you can find what falls out.
My neighbor was a civilian contractor over there for a few years. Major money to be made there! He was a quality control supervisor and located in a guarded compound when not on the jobsite. Not sure if that part is true but just relaying the story......

Friend already bought the new parts and installed. This happened to us while out fishing one day, so I showed him what the issue was, and how to fix it. I have 2-3 spare o-rings I take with me all the time, so when I get home, I'll re-do the cam follower and o-ring with no lube. Then the easy part of taking apart the two halves to locate the missing cam follower and connecting link.
If that doesn't work, maybe buy a new carb top body cover? The "mushroom" on the end of the shaft that the cam follower slides on may be worn, or maybe have a burr on it causing the o-ring to fail? If that doesn't work, maybe it's time for a newer 4 stroke.
Again, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Been back from Afghanistan for a little over a week now. Had the boat out duck/goose hunting four times, and not a single issue with the cam follower. Maybe new parts corrected the issue? Didn't see anything wrong with the old part, so a little confused. But, thankful there haven't been more lost rubber o-rings, or cam followers falling off. Thanks for the help Pappy. Take care.

Latest posts