1999 Yamaha 115

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIVIT

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 1999 Aluma-Weld Xpress with a 1999 Yamaha 115. Engine does not have 2 cycle oil injection. Owner claims it never has had injection. Engine looks good and runs great. Just have not heard of that year engine not having injection. I thought it was required by then. Web search for 115 without injection has not helped.
Was curious, if this is possible. Want to see if this owner is telling truth. If not, then what else is he not telling me. Tks

Look at the actual model of the engine.

I'd bet it's a C115TLRX. The "C" is what I called the "cheaper" outboard, however I think some call it a "commercial"....dunno what yamaha calls it.

In '99 there was a 115, B115, C115, and a couple of S115's that I can remember.

As I recall the C115's did not have oil injection. A lot of the C series outboards from Yamaha didn't have oil injection-or as yamaha calls it "autolube" as I recall.

It was not required. It was simply a convenience option and a selling point. It does help people to avoid improper pre-mixing, reduces visible smoke, reduces oil contamination in the waterways and has a lot of other positives.

Todd, thank you. I looked that model up. Manual mentions option of remote oil tank. I was not aware that oil injection was an option. This does make me feel better about this upcoming purchase.
I just found out today, that he is second owner. Has had the boat for 7 years. So if previous owner had removed the injection improperly, the problems of doing so would of shown up by now.

Pappy said:
Oil injection was never a requirement at all.

For some reason, I thought the clean water act. Required all future larger outboards have oil injection. Tks for info.

If I'm understanding this correctly, oil was always just mixed with gas and oil injection was just a bandaid for lazy people or ones that spaced off putting oil in the gas?

I would rather mix my own gas anyhow.. although on a 115 it would be a lot if gas!

It seems as though every Yamaha I see for sale in my area for a reasonable price has low compression.. makes me wonder if the auto lube is dependable.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

The autolube doesn't mean autofail.

Where 99.999999% of "autolube" failures occur is when the pump gets an air bubble in it, and is not bled. This was a huge problem on Jet ski's and also the little 200cc Yamaha Blaster, as they would commonly go upside down, then obviously gravity pulled the oil to the top of the tank, and an air bubble was introduced into the feed line. If the motor was still running (on it's side or whatever), the pump would ingest the air bubble. The pumps are awesome oil pumps but POOR air pumps. Air would sit in the pump forever, which would starve the engine for oil, then boom.

Long as they're not run out of oil or run upside down, they don't fail. On Outboards, the only issue would be run out of oil.

Some of the bigger outboards had the boat mounted oil tank with a transfer pump which transfers oil from the boat to the motor. They weren't problematic but with where it's mounted (in the bilge area), they were susceptible to rat/mouse/squirrel damage to the wiring. But there was always an alarm and engine RPM limit to let you know that there was an issue.

Latest posts