Reverse issue mercury 25 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
I have an early 90s mercury 25 hp 2 stroke with remote controls. I'm getting some awful noise when going into reverse. I wanted to eliminate any easy issues before moving forward. I'm able to successfully verify shifting manually without the motor running and just checking the prop is engaging while moving the shift linkage by hand. I noticed that where the shift cable attaches to the motor the brass cylinders have a ton of play/room. Mine seem to be missing the black collar surrounding the brass where they attach to the linkage assemblies. The picture attached has a collar but I cant seem to find this part online to replace it.

Can anyone tell me where I could find this part? I believe the controls are the quicksilver commander.

Assuming everything is adjusted and working correctly is the clutch dog the next most likely culprit?

Thanks and appreciate any input on diagnosing the issue.
102f3eae6ff0f90033480cb4a5546daf.jpg

I know next to nothing about controls, but it stands to reason that if that Grommet or fitting is missing, then you are not getting a smooth motion. Can you get a piece of plastic or PVC and drill and grind out your own piece?

Incidentally, my mechanic told me to NEVER shift unless the motor is turning over. I don't know if that applies to your engine...but????

I think I found the part. Will start with this and see what happens. I am sure I have shifted gears while the motor is not running. Hope I have not done any harm.
d763fcaa5f5bab83dfe2a98375138f3a.jpg

I wouldn't think you caused any damage. For whatever it is worth my previous 25 Merc four stroke owner's manual said to put in in neutral whilst towing so the prop wouldn't be spin and cause useless wear. Of course, this happens with the motor off.

I wonder if Rich's mechanic is talking about older models or a specific model, or maybe it is just a best practice to not be shifting gears with the motor off. I sure don't know.

I also am going to check the spring clip and reverse actuator too. My motor locks down even in forward which isn't correct. Also wondering if I didn't get the clip back on the shift shaft on when I changed the impeller. If I didn't get the clip on correct I believe that may keep it from going into reverse. Will report back tmw
dc0cd97af5bbce730579e5ba801c1bdf.jpg

Well I believe the culprit has been identified. Drained the lower unit, disassembled and found the shift shaft cam has a badly worn spot on the reverse portion. Any idea on cause of this? Also replacing several seals as there was a small amount of water in the lower unit. Overall the oil still had great viscosity and clutch dog and major parts all look to be in good shape. Very relieved. Always change that oil every year!
3bff120661463d02bc88d8ba6d7706a1.jpg
bd3804fcb8c1cffab02acf83166835c5.jpg

New shift cam installed and reverse is working as it should! Also included a pic of the redneck press to get the shift shaft back on the LU. Apparently with new seals, it is stubborn and might as well avoid the bloody knuckles.
cbf760fe2cab1b8e6f441f1dd061610e.jpg
290034c7cb09f73bf78f77cacca841a4.jpg

On the controls, yes you need all the parts. If something is a little loose, it won't fully make the shift to one gear or the other (usually reverse), the clutch dog pin will rattle against the wedge, also the "ears" on the clutch will become rounded-and make it a little harder to shift. Inspect them-and both of the gears-well.

Funny-I am repowering a bass tracker today with a yamaha, removing a mercury with a commander 3000 control, and it amazes me how cheesy and stupid the commander design is. Pretty simple--and I liked that--but my goodness, I totally forgot how cheap the plastic cable ends are and how easily they break!

OP,

Do yourself a big favor - put a "Side Shift" kit in that and never look back.

I have a 98 25 HP Marc and had all sorts of trouble with the tiller shifter mechanism. Had a Side Shift installed and all is well and running perfectly.

There are far too many things to go wrong with these tiller shift mechanisms. Sooner or later it will fail you.

CMOS

Latest posts