Merc 60 2 Stroke Cold Start Advance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Had a little motor trouble yesterday. It's been a little over a week since I had it out, but it's always ran perfectly.

Anyway, it was hard to start right away, and when I finally did get it running, it blew a cloud of smoke that could've choked Willie Nelson. I figured it might clear up after running, which it did, but it would not idle at all for about 30 minutes. After that, it went right back to normal.

Does this have some sort of cold start advance that might be sticking? It's an 84 60 2 stroke.

I've had issues with those mercury's in starting them cold. Every one of them actually. Anyway, one problem I had on a 90 recently (2 smoke) was that the fuel pump died. The diaphragm in the pump must have deteriorated and allowed fuel to pass through and into the engine. It had a pulse style pump, with a hose that ran over to the engine block. I found it by removing the hose, found fuel inside of it. It shouldn't have fuel-but it may have some oil residue in it. Pull the hose & smell it. If it smells like fuel....found your problem. The one I was messing with--exhibited same problem. The motor was flooded. When it finally started, you couldn't see the motor through all of the smoke.

"Most" had the old style choke which was a plate in the front of each carb. The easiest way to cold start one of those old style choke motors was to choke the engine (push key in/push lever/etc) and HOLD IT while cranking. Also it helps to advance the fast idle lever; helps draw fuel through the carbs. Normally they fire right off, then die. Once that happens, let go of the choke and then crank it again, should fire up and self-sustain. Sometimes ya gotta find the "trick".

Latest posts