20030 Mercury 9.9hp 4 Stroke Outboard - Help with Pricing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMO8853

Reaction score
I found a 2003 9.9 4 Stroke Mercury (bottom pic) on Craigslist and I need help knowing if this is a good deal. He's asking $950 and I offered $600 for it. I'm guessing we would end up some where in the middle, but he may not even respond with such a low ball offer. How much do you think this motor is worth? I live in SC by the way. Thanks

I just realized the 9.9hp 4 stroke motor weighs 111 pounds. This will go on my 1436 Jon that currently uses a 1979 15hp evinrude that only weighs 75. I need a 9.9 or smaller to fish some of the restricted lakes near my house. I wonder if I should just grab an older 2 stroke, like this 7.5hp for $245.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 806
  • Motor2.jpg
    Motor2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 803
The Merc is probably a $1,000 engine around here.
There are lots of great outboards around for cheap. With the new 2 cycle oils, even the older motors can be run pretty clean.
For once in awhile use I would buy an older engine in good shape. Run it dry and use it once in awhile to keep in shape.

Snowshoe said:
For that price, I'd add a little and buy new.

Add a little? I wish! New they're over 2 grand... At least all the ones I've been quoted.

Also if you link one I will surely be sad as I just picked up a 2005 Honda 9.9 electric start for $1200...

Yea, the more I did my research outboards in SC go for a lot of money, even the old ones. It's hard to find an old 10hp outboard that is clean and running under $500 around me. For instance, on CL there's a 1979 6hp Evinrude for $800! Just crazy.

Anyways, I went and bought the 1982 7.5hp Evinrude for $245 on Friday. It is in great shape! Another guy offered the seller $400 for this motor while I was there buying it. The seller was a retired gentlemen that use to own a boat shop and based on his house and other toys he seemed to be well off. We talked in his driveway for over an hour about fishing, hobbies and life and he just wanted to sell the motor to someone that would use it and not try to flip it for a profit.

I'll rebuild the carb, change water pump, sparks plugs, fuel lines and change the oil in the lower unit and I expect it to be trouble free for many years. Great thing about the old 2 strokes are that they are easy to work on, or at least my 1979 Evinrude 15hp that was given to me has been.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 745
Nice deal! Even if it gives you a little trouble, that is a good price. Hopefully the tune up makes her run well for years.

Do you know the weight on it? I haven't gotten to use my 9.9 yet but at 110lbs I'm a little worried that it will be too heavy in the rear. I bet the 7.5hp 2-stroke makes up the 1.5hp difference with weight reduction... at a fraction of the price! (but I have no idea really)

Per the NADA guide it says it weighs 56 pounds. Yea I'm hoping with the weight reduction it will be similar. I'm fishing pretty small (800 acre) lakes so I don't really need it to be very fast. Thanks

FWIW. Six years ago I paid $1200 for a used Merc. 9.9 Bigfoot tiller with electric start and manual tilt. 20 in shaft. I believe it is a 2006 model. Because of the horsepower restricted lakes in the area they sell for a premium.

I really needed the 20 inch shaft version and they where almost non-existant used in my local area so I jumped on it.

Other than a couple of carb. cleanings due to having trouble idling, it has performed flawlessly. Starts everytime!

Latest posts