Help Selecting Motor for 9ft Duranautic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFelix

Reaction score
First time poster and first time tin boater. My father-in-law just gave me his 9' Duranautic Jon Boat he had sitting in the weeds next to his pond. Boat is from the 80s and cleaned up well in pretty good shape. Now need to get a motor for use in local reservoirs. It's stamped for 6hp/350 lbs max. While the few folks I know with any power boating knowledge say to throw a 9.9hp on back this seems unwise and too heavy for a 9 footer. A friend of a friend has an 8hp Nissan 2 stroke which weighs about 60 lbs for a good price which seems to be more reasonable. While I have no interest in setting speed records I also don't want to be wallowing around. As a novice tin boater I would appreciate some words of wisdom from those in the know.

Thanks!

9.9 would be a lot of motor. It's not the horse power that's the issue since you control the throttle. It's the motor's weight that is the issue. Putting an outboard and an operator in the rear of a 9' boat is a lot of weight in the back. I'd look for an older 2 stroke motor since those are generally lighter than the newer 4 stroke motors. In the 80's, when this boat was made, most outboards (maybe all) were 2 stroke.

Latest posts