Is a 4hp a waste of time for me?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooldecker

Reaction score
I live in NJ and we have very few lakes that we can use an actual outboard on, and those usually have a 9.9 or under restrictions. Im thinking about getting a 4 hp ( mainly to get me across these lakes so as not to drain trolling batteries. But i have a 16ft monarch, and im worried im just wasting money. The main reason is because at the moment is i cant afford a 9.9. Any thoughts? I guess im just wondering if it will just struggle mostly. I guess i could also use it as a trolling motor on bigger lakes aswell couldnt i? Again any thoughts or criticism would be appreciated. Thanks as always gentlemen!

I am a fan of the older johnnyrude 4 HP engine. They can be super reliable and use little fuel. A 4 will not plane your boat but will push it along at displacement speed all day. Most have no transmission and so have no neutral, they are always in gear which makes it difficult to warm the engine up while sitting so you better be ready to go when you pull the rope. They also make the boat super manoeuvrable due to being able to spin all they way around. If you decide to go for a 4, look for one with the weedless design prop/skeg. You can plow through lilypads and drag bottom without hurting anything. These motors also idle down well for slow trolling.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

A 4hp will get you there, SLOWLY, should be good for trolling. I have a 4.5 kicker on a 17' StarCraft and it will get me from point A to point B, just takes a bit longer. IMO, f that's all you can afford it will serve it's purpose until you can afford a 9.9.

I am the worlds worst to want to GO when I go. But if you have a question if it is worth it, grab a paddle. If you get it and maintain it well and don't beat it and bang it around most times you will not loose much money on it when you decide to sell it and move up.

The OMC 4hp engines actually have quite a bit of power. You will be surprised how well it will push you and get you across the lake. Go for it!
They made several variations of the 4hp. The best was the 4 Deluxe which had full forward neutral and reverse and the standard 4hp with neutral and forward and 360 degree steering.

Like said above, look for an older model as they will likely be twins, as opposed to now, there is nothing available below 8hp that is not a single cyl. I have a 6hp kicker that I really should have made more of an effort to find an 8 or a 9.9 because they are much more smooth running.

I had an older '58 Evinrude Fastwin 2 horse and it was so smooth you could play Jenga from the gunwale of my canoe. The 6hp I have now shakes my entire 2800lb trolling boat. I actually wedge my fishing pliers under the console so it doesn't rattle so bad. Wish I still had that Fastwin.

Not sure how much your boat weighs but I am running a 2.5 Yamaha 4 stroke on my AlumaCraft MV1448 NCS and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’m in Morris County NJ and it’s perfect for Lake Musconectcong and the other small lakes in the area. It won’t win me any races but gets me where I need to be so I can start trolling. Super quiet and sips fuel.

Myself and a childhood friend of mine used to take a 16’ row boat all over Van Sciver lake(pretty big lake) with either my fathers 2hp evinrude “Mate” or his fathers 1.2hp Tanaka on a regular basis.

The only time we had any issues was way down the windward end of the lake on a windy day.

That whole end of the lake was 1’ chop and a 15mph headwind.

Our parents came looking for us around sundown (Boy, those were the days) but we were nearly back by then.

We were able to make headway by sticking to the shoreline where it was calmer.

well the problem sort of worked itself out. pappy already knows (from another thread lol) but i found a real deal for a 9.5 and jumped on it. i may still in the future still buy a lil guy if the right one presents itself. but thank you so much for all your input as always!

never knew you could out bigger carbs on small engines like that. i would think it would just stress internals and use more gas. anyway i like this little motor. only think id change is some sort of electric start but its pretty impossible on this one i believe

If the ignition is good and carb is good, they start so easily with the rope that you won't need electric start. That 9 1/2 is a great motor

An engine can only push the amount of air that the pistons can move.

A bigger carb will only hurt throttle response, as the oversize venturi won't get strong enough pulses to spray the fuel evenly.

Some of the OMC engines were in "families" like the 9.9 and 15 share the same platform and the 9.9 can be upgraded. Same as the 20-35 used the same platform. Not all engines can be upgraded. I prefer to buy the HP I want and leave it stock.

The Mercury 9.9 and 15 horse non-big foot are the same exact jug, case, lower and top end, piston size and bore- only the throttle body size is different. If you have a 9.9 you can have a 15 with the price of a carb and nothing else.

Latest posts