Screwdriver

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I ain't proud. Going to ask a question about screwdrivers.

I just completed my annual maintenance which included changing out the gear lube. Second time I've done this for this outboard. Those two pan head bolts that must be removed from the gear case have fat & wide slots. I'm sure you know what I mean as I think these are fairly common on all outboards. I used the biggest screwdriver blade I have and still managed to bungle them up more than I would like.

Where do you find a screwdriver blade or bit that is thick and wide enough for these kinds of slotted bolts? I checked at my local ACE hardware and didn't see anything remotely large enough.

Thanks in advance.

I use the largest one made by Craftsman.....and a 3/8" open end to open and torque back closed. This method allows me to push pretty hard into the slot and hold the screwdriver steady while breaking it loose with the wrench.
Once the slot in the seal screw has been damaged all bets are off with any normal screwdriver and the screws are best removed by an impact driver set-up with subsequent replacement of the screw and seal.
Since you did not mention the brand of the engine, on Yamaha product the fiber seal is a one time usage only part.

Search for Wheeler screwdrivers online. I have a kit for guns and includes flatheads without the bevel most normal screwdrivers have.

Once you screw up a few flat head screws on a 75 year collector rifle you realize a $60 screwdriver set is worth its weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

These work

a4c62e68194f1cdda9c9a6e66272de63.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just take the biggest one you can find and grind the tip down (shorter) till it fits the slot tightly.

Screwdrivers need to be maintained by keeping the edges square and sharp... I grind mine all the time to fit the job.

For removing I have an old manual impact screwdriver that usually makes easy work out of them. Of course I would never use it to put them back in.

It is a late model Honda outboard. The manual says to replace the plug O-rings at each gear lube change. I have about a two year supply of those and the oil drain plug washer.

Thanks for the responses. All were very helpful. Now I can at least move forward to avoid further damage to the slots on the new plugs I get for the next gear oil change. I found some reasonably priced socket bits with 1/2” slotted tips. I think I'll go with those. I’ll be ready next time.

Nccatfisher -- my old impact driver has saved me many times. One of those things that when you need it you really need it.

Use one of these hand impact drivers:

Capture.PNG

A relatively light rap with a hammer will break the plug free every time. I've never had an issue removing a plug once I started using it

Good Luck!

Latest posts