‘66 9.5 Johnson Starter Rewind

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
I am attempting to fix my starter for this engine as it does not rewind the pull cord. After taking the starter out and inspecting it I notice that the (part number 0314586) - Spring Retainer “upper” is broken. It looks like the bottom 1/2 inch split off. Is this what is causing my starter not to recoil? How do I replace this part of the starter? Is this the same part that would be in an Evinrude 9RL-73B? It lists the same part on both engines I just wanted to double check. https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1973&hp=9.5&model=9RL73B&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Rewind+Starter

I have a the Evinrude as a parts motor and would like to just pull that part out of possible.

If it is the same part number it is the same part and yes that is the issue. Now....what has probably happened is that someone before you broke the starter rope and rather than replace it they shortened it.
If you get to the end of the rope before you get to the end of your arm pull parts will break.....every time!

They are a bit of a pill first time you do one there are some good YouTube videos on it

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I have found that some younger people, like my nephew, will just grab the starter handle and give it a mighty pull.
Drives me nuts!
He broke the recoil starter on my lawn mower doing that.
I have found that the correct way to do it is to pull slowly until you feel the dogs catch and you can feel the resistance, then give it a hard yank.
Otherwise you put undue stress on the mechanism
And yes, replace the entire cord with one made for outboards , not just any piece of rope.
Just my 2 cents

Latest posts