Building Custom CMC Static Jackplate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I know motor risers are a common topic on here but I have never paid them much attention as it never pertained to me. I have finally have fallen victim to the need for one. Purchased a 30hp Yamaha long shaft but my boat is a 1648 Alumacraft with a 15" transom. I actually have all of the parts to do a short shaft conversion on the motor but don't have the patience or special tools to do it myself at the moment and I don't believe I want to pay to have it done.

I will be installing a Panther tilt and trim unit on the boat so at least that will bolt on as close to the top of the transom as possible and has a standard bia bolt pattern for commonality down the road and will not force me to drill nonstandard holes in the boat.

What I'm looking to replicate is the static jack plate that CMC makes which they rate to 300hp outboards. It's constructed of 1/2" thick 6061 angle which has a 5" wide leg on the mounting plane and 2.5" on the other leg (fwd/aft). It comes predrilled to fit a BIA pattern, which my motor does not have, so for that reason plus cost and weight I would like to make my own. I found a reputable website that sells custom cuts and I can get 2 pieces of 4" x 3" x 3/8" in 15-20" lengths for less than $50 shipped. I don't mind a rough finish so it would really just amount to drilling the necessary holes and bolting up.

Just thought I would float the idea on here. I searched and didn't see that specific CMC product mentioned but in 3 or 4 posts and neither were real informative. Also, the bottom is an engineering drawing their customer support sent me when I asked for overall dimensions.

50012-cmc-static-jack-plate-5-inch-vertical-extension-1_600x_c38d6159-6780-4ce5-8ef4-bffa578b67db_600x.jpg

cmc-static-jack-plate-5-inch-vertical-extension-2_2000x.jpg

50012-large.jpg

After some thought as well as measuring my 40hp rated Vance plate and reading a few other threads, I opted for 1/4" angle. I ordered from Midwest Steel and Aluminum, getting two 15" cuts of 4" x 3" x 1/4" 6061 for $44 shipped. Total weight should be about 5 lbs.

Latest posts