Swing away helm

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaugh

Reaction score
This idea has me thinking hard about converting my boat from tiller... Anybody ever seen or made something similar ?

https://www.ganatswingaway.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9BSoWQKzrM

Doesn't look overly difficult. One thing I don't like about it is the break away feature.

On my 12' jon I put the wheel on the right side just like in the pic... making a bracket to hold the wheel...fixed though...with cable steering. The throttle is on the left side but might not work with a wide boat. Sure beats tiller anyday...

Dad used to have a Lakesport (I think?) that had side mounted helm. Was built that way, not a breakaway. He liked it but he never really ran it much either. One thing I didn't like about it (or any other console style steering) is that you don't get quite the maneuverability of tiller steering. It's all trade-off and personal preference.

For me its about the CG. I started out with a Martin 40 on a plywood 12' boat when I was 14. I found that if I sat in the middle seat it would act like a displacement hull with the rear mostly out of the water...at slow speeds. When at wot I would occupy the rear seat for better planning. Issue was sitting in the middle seat the tiller was way back there.

Most of my boats since then were larger with a helm. I now have a 1232 jon with a 1976 15hp. I have 2 pin style seat mounts for my swivel seat... one on the rear portion of the rear seat for a heavy passenger up front and another mount at the very front of the rear seat when I'm alone or with a light passenger. They are about 1 foot apart. With a wheel for steering I can easily reach the wheel in both locations.

When moving slow and me sitting at the front mount the rear is mostly outa the water and works as a displacement hull. When throttling up the front lifts and works as a planning hull. I usually use the front mount so tiller would be problematic.

Small boats finding the best CG for me is issue #1.

Latest posts