20hp 4stroke on 16' Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blamb123

Reaction score
HI All,

I see there is a similar post, but curious to know if i could get away with a 20hp 4 stroke on a 1648 Jon?

I am just looking right now and like the 20hp motors. I would rig the jon lightweight and tiller.
Just want to be able to jump on plane, i don't really care how fast it goes.

Thank you,
Bryan

I have some experience with that combo. I have run a 20 hp Tohatsu on a 1648 Alumicraft, which is a riveted hull. Average load, two large adults, trolling motor, battery and gear, the boat plane easily with the stock prop and top out 22-23mph. Add one more person, and it ran better dropping one pitch in prop, topped out 20-21. So I think that 20 hp is adequate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, I really had no option to figure this out.

ktoelke54 said:
I have some experience with that combo. I have run a 20 hp Tohatsu on a 1648 Alumicraft, which is a riveted hull. Average load, two large adults, trolling motor, battery and gear, the boat plane easily with the stock prop and top out 22-23mph. Add one more person, and it ran better dropping one pitch in prop, topped out 20-21. So I think that 20 hp is adequate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've put a few of the 20hp Yamaha's on 16' war eagle boats. They are heavy (the hull). Most people don't mind them. The boat is rated for 40hp. I ran a 15 on mine but it's about a foot shorter in length and a little lighter. Little sluggish getting on plane but it did fine, ran 23.6mph. You can change the prop to a smaller pitch if need be to help make up for it. The 25hp gets on plane about a second and a half quicker. 40hp gets on plane about 4 seconds quicker but I don't like the steering torque of that motor, and sold it.

Ran a 1448 for a while with a Tohatsu 4 stroke 20 with power tilt. Motor was a little noisy and a little crude, but it pulled us around ok. No hotrod, and struggled to get us on plane sometimes. Neither one of us is lightweight either and neither was the hull.

Latest posts