Johnson seahorse 10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmack3459

Reaction score
Trying to get a value on this Johnson if anybody can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190911_080206.jpg
    20190911_080206.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 874
  • 20190911_080408.jpg
    20190911_080408.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 874
  • 20190911_103953.jpg
    20190911_103953.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 874
I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but these motors are not worth much unless you collect motors, You'd be doing good if you got a 150.00 for it.
Sorry
Sam

jonboatsam said:
I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but these motors are not worth much unless you collect motors, You'd be doing good if you got a 150.00 for it.
Sorry
Sam

Thanks Sam I appreciate it.

Do you live in Florida?
I'd give you $150 for it in a heartbeat if it runs.
Just my opinion but those older Johnsons run forever if maintained.
Parts are easy to get and not expensive.
Mix up some Evinrude XD50 oil at 24 to one and you'll be surprised at how well they run.
The paint and cowling are in good shape and the motor looks well taken care of.
I'd keep it.
I've seen many like it on Craigslist for a lot more than $150
Just my opinion.
I have a 1955 Evinrude 15 hp that runs like new so I may be biased.20171116_105708.jpg

If running, and if I needed a third one, I'd pay up to $400 for a thoroughly checked-out 10 hp Johnson.

But I've already got a 1956 10hp Johnson on my '56 12 ft Alumacraft RB and a1959 10hp Johnson on my '59 14ft Alumacraft F.

I don't remember exactly, but the cowl on yours looks a bit like the larger cowl Johnson used from ?1958 on for a few years.

I trust these engines. :)

Best wishes.

According to my information, a QD 20 is a 1959 engine and parts are still readily available for it. Unfortunately [ for me ] it is a two line fuel tank system but can be easily converted to fuel pump operation if you so desire.

According to my information, a QD 20 is a 1959 engine and parts are still readily available for it. Unfortunately [ for me ] it is a two line fuel tank system but can be easily converted to fuel pump operation if you so desire.

Yep, My '56 10hp Johnson had a dual hose system on it and I wanted both boats to have single-hose systems. The marine mechanic who was going over the motor said that he knew of folks who would like a back-up dual hose delivery system and he and I worked out a trade + a little cash and exchanged my tank, connectors and hoses for a fuel pump installation.

Have never had a problem and fuel delivery is as it should be.

Best wishes.

Pappy said:
Does the engine turn over? Reason I ask is that it has a funny looking line running lengthwise along the transom brackets almost as if that line was a waterline from one of our hurricanes and rising water in the Sanibel area.

Yes the engine turns over and I really dont know where the line came from. Sorry it took so long to respond been busy the last week. This is going to be my project this winter. I appreciate the info and wisdom you guys are giving me. Should be fun for me and the boys. Any suggestions on what where I should start?

Coming from a little knowledge:

impeller, carb rebuild kit (think Pappy says OEM is best), coils, plugs, and hoses since the rubber corrodes with the ethanol-diluted gas.

Wait for smarter people than I am before proceeding.

Best wishes.

OMC motors from that vintage are very serviceable and easy to maintain. Lots of parts on ebay and tech info available. Like Pappy warned spend some time making sure it's not a basket case that has spent time underwater etc. If not then the next step is a compression test... do that and tell us what you get. If you need help for how to do that, just ask..

A 59 round top is a beautiful motor when you get done.... there was a big style change between 58 and 59. a 59 is very clean and modern looking. It could be in a showroom today... Here's a little inspiration .. a 59 35 hp.
IMG_1126.JPG

Thanks Pappy. Nothing like an old Lyman to make a motor look good. That’s a beauty ! Wow the grain on that deck is magic. I’m gonna do one some day if I can ever find the right one.

Latest posts