Evinrude model year?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarRiverScooter

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a 18 hp 'Rude.

I want to verify the mfg year, but can't find the serial # in the Evinrude chart.

None of the websites have been helpful on this.

Here is the serial #:
18202 RE0007952

Can anyone verify this guy's age?

It has 120# compression & spark, but haven't got it started yet, Gave up last night when arm got sore pulling!

Will take carb apart if I don't get it going today.

Thanks for any help!

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1972&hp=18&model=18202R

Photos would be interesting....

Thanks Shaugh!

Got it going today. The problem was that the needle keeper was at the bottom of the bowl, so the needle was stuck open.

Now it runs pretty smooth, gear shift works OK, pumps water great, LU oil a little milky so new seals for that this winter.

The most pressing item is that the throttle linkage is worn so the carb isn't opening up all the way. Not a surprise on a 47 y.o. motor.

Need to do some clean up before pictures hit the ww web!

A couple pictures:
ggh.JPG

jlj.jpeg

The next issue will be to figure out why the powerhead was covered with oil.

Is it a safe bet that the powerhead to housing gasket is leaking? There is so much smoke it is hard to tell where it is coming from.

CRS - was the powerhead covered with oil on the top, the bottom, or both? That crankshaft is the same as on my 1961 18hp, I believe. There are 2 seals (one on each end).
- If the oil is all under the magneto plate and on the top of the powerhead, it's possible the upper seal is leaking. If so... it's possible to replace that top crankshaft seal without pulling apart the powerhead (special tool, etc.). The parts are all in the link Shaugh posted, under the "crankshaft and piston" grouping.
- If the oil is all over the ph - and since you don't have the history - then it could literally be anything (or nothing more than just bad hygiene).
- The smoke could be caused by one or more of several factors. Is it smoking through the exhaust housing? If so, it may not be a problem... could just be carbon on the piston heads or in the exhaust cover pan. If from somewhere else, that could be important.
- Is the top of the head cover, or the exhaust cover, extra hot? Or is the exhaust cover discolored? If so, it just may have been (or still be) running very hot with the thermostat closed, or the impeller may be damaged. That could cause smoke just from any residual oil or fuel/oil gunk left over on the powerhead.

I'm not sure if your engine has a pee indicator or not... the 60's 18s and my 1974 15 do not, but I've added them to all of them. It's easy to do, and here's where I learned it. You can always be confident your impeller is good and the intake isn't clogged. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6YJlmUSDs

If you got it running just by re-building and cleaning the carb, that's probably a good sign that it's worth putting some effort into replacing the thermostat (or at least checking it to see that it opens in warm/hot water) and the impeller. You probably know this already, but these are water cooled and the impellers get brittle after a few years (even if they were always run in water, which you also can't be sure of).

That engine is a great platform... very tough and reliable. You'll probably be glad to have it.

Thanks, the lower cowl was a little loose so probably just sucking in smoke for years. Got it all washed off for now. Have 2 threads going on so going to signoff on this one.

These motors are fun to work on, so simple!

You're definitely right about that. Good luck, and let us know how it's going. I'll catch up on the other thread.

Latest posts