Motor about to go into storage for a few months. What to do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cricketchaser

Reaction score
I have a 8hp four stroke mercury that is about to go into storage for a few months. What should I do before I place it in storage?

Either drain all fuel or run some premium non ethanol with stabil through it first. Change oil. You can fog the cylinders too.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Treat fuel, run it through/dry while fogging out, store straight up and down.

I see zero need to replace the LU oil. If I don't put 100-hours on an OB in a season, I'll leave it to the next year - zero issues owning and/or maintaining dozens and dozens of OBs over 40-years practice, 2hp to 300hp. But I'll admit the big V6s always clocked many hours, so they were changed annually.

Dunno. Ain't "stored" a boat in, well, at least 20 years. Fish year round. February and early March are sometimes questionable but I at least TRY to go once or twice. Usually get a few crappie.

Usually the owners manuals have storage information in them, so if you have an owners manual-or can get access to one-that should give you an idea.

DaleH said:

I see zero need to replace the LU oil. If I don't put 100-hours on an OB in a season, I'll leave it to the next year - zero issues owning and/or maintaining dozens and dozens of OBs over 40-years practice, 2hp to 300hp. But I'll admit the big V6s always clocked many hours, so they were changed annually.
The reason for changing the LU oil is to get any water out.
Water + cold = frozen
Frozen + gearcase = crack
I store my motors in the garage to prevent such an occurrence, but not everyone has this option

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
DaleH said:

Water + cold = frozen
I hear you ... sounds good in theory, but sadly does NOT correlate to reality. One’s gearcase would have to mostly full of water for that to happen.

1960 yellowboat said:
cricketchaser said:
I have a 8hp four stroke mercury that is about to go into storage for a few months. What should I do before I place it in storage?

move to florida and fish year round
I'm headed to Florida this week, you running a guide service?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
GYPSY400 said:
DaleH said:

Water + cold = frozen
I hear you ... sounds good in theory, but sadly does NOT correlate to reality. One’s gearcase would have to mostly full of water for that to happen.
The idea is to get any water out that may be in there.

Not sure of the % of water but have seen lower units crack from freezing. Going to drain & refill mine before winter.

Here in North Dakota I have seen a few that have cracked to! I always make sure that the lower unit oil is replaced before winter.

My 6hp merc 4 stroke kicker gets nothing much more than being brought inside the house for storage. I change the motor oil in the spring and do the impeller and LU oil once every other year. The bigger motors just get normal maintenance, LU oil and impeller every other year. My 150 however I do the LU oil every season, but usually not until the spring.

jethro said:
My 6hp merc 4 stroke kicker gets nothing much more than being brought inside the house for storage. I change the motor oil in the spring and do the impeller and LU oil once every other year. The bigger motors just get normal maintenance, LU oil and impeller every other year. My 150 however I do the LU oil every season, but usually not until the spring.
It is recommended that motors shouldn't be stored with used oil.. Oil becomes acidic with combustion, so your better off doing it before storage. I'd change the oil and then run the motor until the carb goes dry to circulate the new oil and call it good.
Being that your motor doesn't freeze, the LU oil is a moot point. Also, the impeller should last 5 seasons with normal use, but doing it every 2 is good insurance.

What is the school of thought about running the Motor dry of the gas before storage if you have a newer EFI 20 hp motor. There isn’t a carb to worry about and the fuel is shell premium.
I understand that in this case you should leave the fuel in so the seals don’t dry up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that it is best not to run fuel injection dry.
Could be a motor-myth, but seems logical to me.
I would add stabil to non-eth gas, run it long enough to get that into the injectors, fog it & then get a plane ticket to Florida. Winter bad!

Latest posts