Cleaning In-Tank Filter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This is pretty tame compared to a lot of the topics/issues discussed here on the Motors forum.

Anyway, I just hit 200 hours on my 2018 Honda outboard (four-stroke). One of the maintenance tasks is to check, and if needed, clean the filter in the portable gaso tank. That seems like a real good idea. I can do that.

So, I’m thinking maybe I should remove the in-tank filter and replace it with an in-line filter installed in the fuel line between the tank and the outboard. It would obviously be before the bulb.

I think I’ve read someone recommending this here but I sure can’t find it. It just seems it might be easier to maintain.

Is this a good idea?

Thx in advance.

When you clean the tank screen, you could evaluate how dirty it is. Maybe you can increase the service interval.

If the screen is dirty, the tank needs to be cleaned out too.

An inline filter will add potential leak points to the fuel hose.

I would say that too much of our service work is related to neglected fuel and fuel systems.
I get it that some of our customers are elderly, still enjoy boating, and cannot physically maintain their boat and engine anymore. That is fine.
We see water and debris in tanks fairly often.
I use a funnel with a screen on my portable tanks for my engines and still occasionally see debris.
By all means check it and see what you have and how well you are doing with keeping debris out of your tank.
If you install a filter the only thing I can add is that it is always a better idea to install the filter on the suction side of the primer. Nothing like blowing a line off and blasting fuel in your boat to ruin the start of a day on the water!

Thanks. Might be better if I just add this to the 6 month/100 hour maintenance cycle. Ounce of prevention and too easy to do to pass on really.

CRScooter, they do say to clean the tank with a nonflammable solvent. If I see any sediment I'll do that, but I figure gasoline is a pretty good solvent.

I installed this little water separator/filter when
I re-powered my little 14ft. Probably overkill for
6 gallon portable tank, but it gives me piece of mind.

https://www.partsvu.com/yamaha-mini-10-fuel-water-separating-filter-assembly-with-housing-mar-minif-lt-as.html

I have not seen an in-tank "filter". I have seen some that had a screen on the bottom of the pickup tube but it's not necessarily a filter, per say. A spin on filter/separator specifically designed for boating would be fine--actually recommended by most boat and motor manufacturers. On EFI motors the fuel pump sits down in a little tank and similar to a car, the pump module usually has a filter on it; many call it a "sock"--and they will sometimes plug. Unfortunately many of them are not available separate from the pump assembly.

turbotodd said:
I have not seen an in-tank "filter". I have seen some that had a screen on the bottom of the pickup tube but it's not necessarily a filter, per say. A spin on filter/separator specifically designed for boating would be fine--actually recommended by most boat and motor manufacturers. On EFI motors the fuel pump sits down in a little tank and similar to a car, the pump module usually has a filter on it; many call it a "sock"--and they will sometimes plug. Unfortunately many of them are not available separate from the pump assembly.

Honda Marine's wording not mine. They are talking about the mesh screen at the bottom of the portable tank's pick up tube.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 8.11.09 AM.png