Tapatalk has been disabled due to being incompatible with the current version of the forum software. Will be re-enabled once it's fixed.

New mercury 40hp

Tracker grizzly tiller

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
turbotodd

New mercury 40hp

Post by turbotodd »

y'all outta come out to stuttgart and watch the duck hunters.

15' boats with 70, 80, 90hp outboards, almost all tiller steered. They spend more on the motors than I did on both of my cars combined! Mods?? Mod a 70 to make 130hp...seen it quite a few times and they scream. But for me, 30mph is fine (25hp). There's only been twice (that I can think of) I needed to go faster and once was in a boat race with a guy who had exactly the same boat with a 40. The other, outrunning the weather. We still got drenched but it was mid summer and before the shower, about 105° actual air temp so the rain felt nice.

Weldorthemagnificent

Re: New mercury 40hp

Post by Weldorthemagnificent »

Special kind of crazy in Arkansas. I've seen some of that over by crosset on the oachita.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

New mercury 40hp

Post by nccatfisher »

I have the same boat and it wanted to porpoise bad when my motor set in the stock position. I added tilt and trim and it was aftermarket thus it has a 5” back set and it stopped it.

But I also have two batteries up under the front deck and made a fuel tank that goes all the way across behind it that holds 10 gallons.

Johnsk

New mercury 40hp

Post by Johnsk »

It s 2018 1648 grizzly till bought it with 25hp it was a dog cruise was 17ish I have 2 Amy batteries 1 in stern and one in how 2 guys and gear 460 and the boat weighs 590 max hp for boat is 40hp so that’s what I upgraded too. Much happier with performance can cruise 26-27 mph 4800 rpm I will be moving second battery to the bow , battery weighs 65lbs so that a little more than the 40 lbs diff in the 25-40 hp Merc thanks for replies.

CedarRiverScooter

New mercury 40hp

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

It is just plain fun to skim along at 30+mph on smooth narrow river - Don't need any other justification!

Riverdog

Post by Riverdog »

Trim down
Shift weight
slow down

I guaranty one of those will work. :D
2013 1752 Blazer SS Mercury 60/40

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

Johnsk

Post by Johnsk »

Any recommendations on gauge wire when moving start battery up front I’m thinking 2-4 gauge it’s 12 ft run

Johnsk

Post by Johnsk »

Any recommendations on gauge wire when moving start battery up front I’m thinking 2-4 gauge it’s 12 ft run

GYPSY400

Post by GYPSY400 »

Johnsk wrote:Any recommendations on gauge wire when moving start battery up front I’m thinking 2-4 gauge it’s 12 ft run
Probably 4ga would do it.. I usually buy a set of booster cables and cut the ends off.. if you get a decent set on sale it's cheaper than buying the wire individually.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

New mercury 40hp

Post by nccatfisher »

GYPSY400 wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 13:19
Johnsk wrote:Any recommendations on gauge wire when moving start battery up front I’m thinking 2-4 gauge it’s 12 ft run
Probably 4ga would do it.. I usually buy a set of booster cables and cut the ends off.. if you get a decent set on sale it's cheaper than buying the wire individually.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Yep, that is what I did.

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS »

OK, I guess this is total hearsay. I read somewhere (probably on TB.net) to be careful about converting jumper cables to permanent use. The issue is that some use copper covered aluminum conductors and are only intended for momentary loads. As my kids might say, sorry to be a buzz kill.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Weldorthemagnificent

I've used jumper cables for years. Starting a small outboard is a small momentary load, smaller than any car. And the charging current is low. Might be different on a larger motor.

LDUBS

New mercury 40hp

Post by LDUBS »

Weldorthemagnificent wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 22:19
I've used jumper cables for years. Starting a small outboard is a small momentary load, smaller than any car. And the charging current is low. Might be different on a larger motor.

Thanks Weldor. My memory was bad. What I thought I remembered turned out to be a caution about using cheap jumper cables for continuous duty on a trolling motor. I guess the cheap ones can get hot and melt away the thin plastic insulation. Anyway, sorry guys for the incorrect info.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Weldorthemagnificent

It's something to keep in mind. A bad connection can cause heat as well. A couple boats ago I used jumper cable wire to run a bow trolling motor with the battery at the back. It worked fine but it was only a 30lb thrust 12v motor. I imagine once you get into higher thrust motors you'd better spend a little more on booster cables. I usually look at the size wire coming from the factory on either trolling motor or outboard and let that be my guide for minimum size.

Johnsk

Post by Johnsk »

E06DCA85-38FD-467C-A9C6-6212E8025F9F.png
Attachments
68B26C03-9114-4E7E-B23F-68124CB19CAF.png
E20D07C2-A85C-4B50-9A9C-5E4596DF2904.png