Boat Build Motor Suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susqyg3

Reaction score
I’m in the process of converting a 1988 bass tracker tx-17 to a duck boat. It is going to simply have an aluminum floor, small front deck and small rear seats (all aluminum) set up for a tiller. I have a center console jet boat for fishing, so this will be solely used for duck hunting and the occasional crabbing trips. I’m not ready to purchase a motor yet but I’m researching them. My best guess is a 40 hp tiller, but they seem hard to come by. Would a 30 be way underpowered? It will mostly be 1-2 guys and a dog plus gear. I hunt some water that can get pretty nasty if it blows, so I want to be able to get the boat on plane with a load. Thanks for any input!

A smaller motor will work if you put a lower pitch prop on it so it gets to the power curve. The boat should plane out by 15 mph. The bigger motor will go way beyond that, but smaller motor not much beyond.

More important than speed is the reliability, IMO.

That’s exactly my thinking. I’m fairly familiar with props and pitch even though I’m a jet boat guy currently. I definitely feel like I can get more motor for the money if I go with a 30 vs a 40. In a long shaft tiller they seem more common as well.

Here she is beached, the inspiration for my lighter hunting boat actually!

Attachments

• 543D3ACA-FAE3-4384-92CE-D73698C49005.jpeg
    543D3ACA-FAE3-4384-92CE-D73698C49005.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 382

Latest posts