OB Props with HUGE 'holes' in the blade surface ... faster to spool up, plane & WOT!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Props with holes built into the blade surface - and not just into the prop hub - who'd of thunk?

https://boattest.com/Sharrow-Engineering-Propeller

Better hole shot, significantly faster to plane, better mid-range economy and faster WOT ... whaddya think?

1. Performs significantly better at idle.
2. Plans at a lower RPM
3. Is faster at all RPM settings
4. Gets significantly more mpg at 3000 and 3500 RPM
5. Is more fuel efficiency at every speed-through-water setting
6. Is as much as 18% more fuel-efficient at 26-28 MPH
7. Produces the highest top speed
8. Creates noticeably less vibration
9. Is generally quieter
10. Has superior handling in tight turns at high-speed
11. Improves handling in reverse
12. Provides the greatest range at all speeds

Sharrow_Prop.jpg

Makes one wonder how long it will be before this tech finds it's way into the small aviation world, or the world of airboats. This might also have a place in the compressor vanes of turbine and jet engines.

One would think the commercial airline industry certainly looks for something like this.

Roger

Looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. The test results are impressive. Sadly, the cost is $4,500 for the alum model. Double that for the SS model. I don't want to be a killjoy, but paying about thirty times the cost of a traditional prop is too rich for me.

CedarRiverScooter said:
You would have to boat a lot to pay for it in fuel savings.

My math is probably off, but I think it would take about 50 years before I could break even. Of course, if I triple my time on the water I could cut that down to about 15 years! Lol

LDUBS said:
Looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. The test results are impressive. Sadly, the cost is $4,500 for the alum model. Double that for the SS model. I don't want to be a killjoy, but paying about thirty times the cost of a traditional prop is too rich for me.

First customers would definitely be the more money than brains crowd. Then eventually get cheaper for us common folk.

Looks like a human cheese grater. Must be the Investigation Discovery channel I'm watching right now. :shock:

Don't hold your breath in getting them for smaller outboards, basically anything under 90hp. There is very little if any money to be made with small outboards, at least that's the way it looks. Most of the boat shops around this area won't even consider anything under 90hp. A guy shows up looking to buy a 25? Nope...go elsewhere...same story in a lot of places. A dealer can't make any money on smaller motors, period. I know, I work for a dealer. On a new yamaha 25, we make $25. Sales commission is 2% of profit, so you can see where those guys are less than excited to sell a motor unless it's a full rig $30,000+ boat and even then they'd just as soon sell a lawn mower.

I get the same feeling when I try to buy parts. I thought I would support local business, but they act like it is a burden just to look up the part #.

Latest posts