Used 2 Stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexhardy1

Reaction score
Good evening everyone. First post and first question. Looking to buy a motor for a flat bottom. The specs say max is 7.5 hp. I don’t like the prices on the new motors so was thinking about going used. My question is how hard are they to work on with all the information available online. I can find several for $300-$400 and they often state “ran good when put up”.

If I were to stick with a name brand will parts be available to get it going good again? The motors in my area will predominantly all have been used for fresh water as we are 5 hours from the coast. Also anything specific I should look out for?

Thanks for your input as I try to figure out what to do.

Rex

Mercury is kind of notorious for NLA parts. Even on new stuff.

OMC is a safe bet. The vast majority of parts are available even for motors dating back to the 60s.

Since you are comparing older 2 strokes to that of a new engine don't limit yourself to 3-400 dollars if possible.
Try to witness the engine running if only in a barrel. If the engine will idle down to a nice slow idle that means it is well sealed and still in good runnable condition. Check shifting, check the gear oil for water, etc.
If you are not mechanically inclined keep in mind that the ads that state ran the last time I used it could mean almost anything.
Put a bit more into the initial purchase and not into necessary repairs after the purchase.
OMC has a nice little 7.5hp as well as a great running 8hp. Don't worry much about going over the rated horsepower a little.

Thank you both for the input. I will keep this advise in mind as I continue my search. I have seen a few that says runs great, but when you look at the pictures they lot a little rough. That causes me a little concern in that I always felt that is someone keeps something well maintained, that also includes the appearance. Might just be a hang up of mine..

If you aren't experienced with outboards, I'd steer clear of ones listed as "ran before putting up". That usually is code for - "it kinda ran but had problems and I didn't want to fix it myself".

I second the recommendation of getting an Evinrude or Johnson in 7.5 to 9.9hp range. Lots of parts available and lots of people who know how to work on them.

Post in the wanted section (include location). Someone on here may have what you are looking for. Not saying it will be any better than what you may find elsewhere but you can at least look at post history to get a feel for what type of person the seller is.

Long term, the most effective path is to learn how to work on them yourself. A shop manual can be had for $30, that makes it a lot easier. OMC is easy to work on, esp. if you are not in a hurry. Tons of used parts available.

PS - I think the older OMCs were overbuilt. No way could they afford to make same motor for a competitive price today.

Latest posts