Gas tank trouble. HELP!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolfanpete

Reaction score
I have a 12 ft john boat with an 18 hp tohatsu. I use a 6 gallon gas tank. The problem is, when i have the hose plugged in with the connectors i cant get any gas to the motor. I have the arrow pointing from the gas tank to motor i try to prime it and it seems to do so, but it wont get gas to it. The only way i have been getting gas to it, is by sticking the tube itself straight into the tank, which causes a little bit of gas to fall out. Any suggestions?

sounds like it is sucking air from somewhere. check all the lines and fittings for a good seal. does the primer bulb get hard after you pump it up?

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

Has it worked before or is this a new setup for you? Did you maybe try replacing the primer and fuel line?

Is your fuel tank vented?

:-k

this is a new set up for me. i have done some upgraging to it, love it so far! the primer ball doenst pump up hard at all, and it is new. Bought it at Walmart, yamaha 7' cable. purchased connectors, and the gold valve for the tank. i dont believe it's vented. ibought a new gas tank to see if that was the problem, but didnt. I know it is getting air, cuz i can hear air when i try to prime it. could it be wrong connectors or something? if not what all should i be doing to seal it?

there is a short hose connected from the tanks to the bulb, then a longer one going to the motor. i'd say its around 1 and a half.

Remove the tank cap when you prime,if it primes up,you need a new cap or tank vent.Also,the primer bulb should be running up and down,not parallel to the boat floor.

My primer ball is always parrallel to the floor. that could be one issue.Should the gold plug on the tank be facing up or is it ok to be pointing down? can i shorten the line a bit? it is too long i believe

if your getting gas when you stick the line into the tank your problem is with the connector at the tank end. be sure that the connections are tight and you have the correct fitting on the tank for the Yamaha fuel line. when i purchased a new tank it came with at fitting for a merc so I had to change the fitting it hooked up and looked fine but never made a tight seal
I never heard that the bulb had to be vertical mine is parallel to the boat floor with no problem.

redbug said:
if your getting gas when you stick the line into the tank your problem is with the connector at the tank end. be sure that the connections are tight and you have the correct fitting on the tank for the Yamaha fuel line. when i purchased a new tank it came with at fitting for a merc so I had to change the fitting it hooked up and looked fine but never made a tight seal
I never heard that the bulb had to be vertical mine is parallel to the boat floor with no problem.

#-o Didn't even think about the connectors being different.That's probably the cause,2 different connectors and not sealing.The primer bulb running up and down is supposed to eliminate any air that might be trapped inside of it.Sometimes it can cause the line to loose prime.It's not one of those, you must do it or else,type things.It just eliminates one more possible problem.

You mentioned the connectors being too big? how do i know what size to get? i threw away the package that the yamaha hose and bulb came in. i guess i could go back to wal mart and see if it recommends the size that it would need.

What I did when I replaced my tank. was to purchase a set male and female and install them on the tank and fuel line. be sure to get a clean cut on the fuel line and use Teflon ape on the threads that go into the tank.
here is a link that shows the Yamaha male and female connectors as you can see they all look similar

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21278-cat420004&id=0042445018661a&navCount=2&podId=0042445&parentId=cat420004&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

since the yami and the johnnyrudes are similar , wonder if he got one of each and they are just different enough in size to not be sealing?

Macgyver said:
since the yami and the johnnyrudes are similar , wonder if he got one of each and they are just different enough in size to not be sealing?

Thats what i did felt stupid when it happened

Wayne

thats what i think it is. the fittings are not the right size, mainly on the tank. The gas seeps out from the fitting when i try to prime it. How do i know which size is the right one for my set up? is tahatsu a certain size? i have a standard wal mart 6 gallon gas tank.

dolfanpete said:
thats what i think it is. the fittings are not the right size, mainly on the tank. The gas seeps out from the fitting when i try to prime it. How do i know which size is the right one for my set up? is tahatsu a certain size? i have a standard wal mart 6 gallon gas tank.
I would just buy a matched set of fittings your taking maybe $15 for the set then you will be set

Wayne

Thats exactly what i did. I didnt realize that the fittings i had were the wrong size, i went over to west marine and picked up fittings that looked totally different. Instead of it being the two barb fitting at the tank, i have a chrome plated male adapter with a slip ring on it, and on the hose is the matching piece that connects to it. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

WOW i got one right!!!! I am glad it worked for you I did the same thing and it took me a month to figure it out.

NOW GO CATCH SOME FISH

Wayne

Latest posts