Ideas for 10ft Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyBassFisherman253

Reaction score
Whats up everybody . I just picked up a 10ft Jon boat off good old craigslist and I was wondering what I could to to stablize the wobbles that it's gets. Also if a deck or any bass boat-like mods can be added . Any advise would be appreciated !

I added some flotation pods and they helped a little but nothing significant. Seen some guys even attach pontoons. If you plan on installing a deck keep in mind higher it is the more unstable it will become. When looking at Jon boats the most important size is in the width. Most 10' are 32". Ideal width would be 48" or larger though they are commonly found on 14'+ length boats.

Attachments

• foot5.jpg
    foot5.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 8,771
FlyBassFisherman253 said:
Whats up everybody . I just picked up a 10ft Jon boat off good old craigslist and I was wondering what I could to to stablize the wobbles that it's gets. Also if a deck or any bass boat-like mods can be added . Any advise would be appreciated !

I have a 10 foot "topper" and the best advice I can give you is to not add a chair and sit on a cushion and stay there, or get a wider 12' + boat :)

Bass boat like "mods" are for sure needed. I just couldn't live without some things.

I added two rod holders, running lights, a depth sounder, cleats, a bilge pump (we can get a foot of rain in a couple of hours here), some kids pool "noodles" on the sides to grip so my hands don't burn, and a little self made "dashboard" with switches to turn stuff on, a volt meter with integrated USB charging ports, compass, hour meter, and thermometer.

I have a Lowe 1040 (widest jon boat I could find). So far it's been pretty stable with my wife and I in it. I put a 55 lb. TM on it and it pushes it around just fine.

If your concerned about stability do not add a casting deck. The wobble will only get worst and you’ll get wet.

I’d add your typical fishing stuff. Rod holders, fish finder, bilge pump, trolling motor or outboard.

If your fishing electric only lakes go with trolling motor, balance your weight with the battery. If gas is a option I’d go for a 2.5 hp outboard.

Check under the seats see if there is foam in the seats. If there is make sure it’s not waterlogged. If there isn’t any put as much in as you can (pool noodles work great and they’re cheap). This will be your reserve flotation or secondary flotation. Aka if your boat fill with water it will still float so you don’t loose everything.

Congrats on a nice little boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The closest I've had is a 12ft duck punt, it was stable enough to stand in but it was low enough a casting deck was pointless, you would only gain a few inches in height and loose stability.
In little boats like that less is more, so as others have said, add the essentials and leave it at that.

But there us a product called a boat collar, it will add heaps if stability and probably make a casting deck possible and practical.
https://boatcollar.com.au

Theblackz99 said:
I have a Lowe 1040 (widest jon boat I could find). So far it's been pretty stable with my wife and I in it. I put a 55 lb. TM on it and it pushes it around just fine.

+1 on the Lowe.

Not long ago I sold my 1032 topper and bought a Lowe 1040 and it's a universe away more stable than the topper.

Latest posts