Karts/Mini bikes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6672

Reaction score
So I bought a place with some acreage and started collecting the lost toys of my youth..

Ive been accumulating Dingo Karts and Mini bikes the last couple of months..

The 2 Dingos are 8hp with Comet torque converters.. Both do about 35 mph and are wicked fun..

picture.php

Just grabbed this Dingo 285 last week for dirty cheap. This one is all original and has a 5hp on with a Comet TC aswell. This one only does 20 but its good for the kiddo's..

picture.php

got 3 Mini bikes all in different stages of repair or running..

This one is a El Tigre and is a handful with no gov on it..

picture.php

Anyone else got karts etc?

I don't do carts, but I do know where the Main Line is! I'll be passing close by on my way to Devils Lake at the end of the month. :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363239#p363239 said:
Keystone » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]I don't do carts, but I do know where the Main Line is! I'll be passing close by on my way to Devils Lake at the end of the month. :mrgreen:

Very Nice!

Best burgers in a 100 mile radius (including F/M area).. Plus we can ride the karts/bikes there 5 miles on minimal maintenance roads :)

Just got a lawn mower for free. Took the engine off and converted to horizontal output shaft.
Think I'll buy a centrifugal clutch and build a vintage style mini bike.

Probably end up getting a comet step down clutch (1" to 7/8" bore).... or other option is to get a standard bore clutch and idle the motor and hit it with emery cloth. We'll see.... actually taking my time with this project as I am in no hurry.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363370#p363370 said:
Canoeman » Today, 01:37[/url]"]I'd like to see the conversion from ver to hor..

me too! i did karts and mini bikes as a kid, then progressed to dirtbikes. now i have a ATV, dirtbike and a street bike. and of course my tin boat.

I have another one I am doing.... I'll take pics this time. Gimme a couple of days.

Basically you take all the extra junk off you don't want.
Split the case.
remove the old oil dipper.
plug the oil fill/dipstick hole.
plug hole at crank bearing.
add flicker to crank shaft.
assemble case.
add oil (luckily the engines I have used the oil level needs to be filled up to flush with what was the drain hole).
rotate carb.
put the extra junk back on that you want (if you want).

run it.

check these out.... better than any pictures and explanation I can give.

https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+vertical+shaft+engine&oq=convert+&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

The conversion is for the just because.

To whom do you sell the vert shafts to? They seem to be a dime a dozen. I can't imagine anyone actually paying for one, but if someone will I would be all over that.

I'm looking at a 6.5 hp Tecumseh (horizontal) a guy has for sell for $40. It is missing the recoil start, so in the end it would probably be about the same price for the new HF motor. Plus, I hear good things about the chinese one.

Finished the conversion of the vert. I'll try and fab a mount for it tomorrow. Then I can attempt to start and hopefully avoid a backfire due to no weighted flywheel. At the worst it will explode (probably just shear a key?), I got insurance, and as was mentioned HF has the cheapy.

This dude does a good series of convert explanation.
[youtube]sCWwqGr-td0[/youtube]

Theres a couple guys who i do some trade with up here. They rebuild mowers etc.. They like vert I like Hori.. Works out well..

I understand how it is done.. just dont see the reason in all the effort except to say you did it.. Maybe if Hori were scarce but they arent..

Yea man.. The HF Predators are getting good reviews and the 6.5 has a tons of mods out there. The 2 - 8hp I have are solid. Currently cleaning 2 comet series 40's.. Both have been sticking and that can get sketchy fast ;)

How did it run? She blow?

Fired it up. No major issues. I'm gonna need to do something with the fuel tank 'cause as is it is leaking fuel all over (too much vibration). Think I'll extend the intake more and get the tank completely off the engine.

So you need to figure out a custom motor mount plate and a custom gas tank mount?

Motor mount was the easiest part. Used some scrap steel I found in a dumpster at work.
The fuel tank is a bit (a little bit) more difficult. It is the type with the carb on the tank. I already extended the intake manifold once, just need to extend it a bit more. Then I will need to have a little stronger mounts for the tank and add isolation rubbers.

Sad thing is I had to goto Harbor Freight the other day for some emery cloth. It was another parking lot sale time period. so, as can be expected I walked out with a couple packs of emery cloth and a 212cc Predator engine. Sure hope I can get back to the conversion motor. :)

Very nice..

I just printed out their coupon for %25 off one item..

The 5 hp I got on the smaller Manco does ok but it is tired.

Amazing what it does to take off and high end when you clean the driver of those comets. After i got done cleaning them both, i found a manual that says to clean them every 5-6 hours of use. Pretty sure i got 40+ hours on them, guess thats why they were sticking..

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=363740#p363740 said:
SumDumGuy » 18 Aug 2014, 20:49[/url]"]The conversion is for the just because.

To whom do you sell the vert shafts to? They seem to be a dime a dozen. I can't imagine anyone actually paying for one, but if someone will I would be all over that.

I'm looking at a 6.5 hp Tecumseh (horizontal) a guy has for sell for $40. It is missing the recoil start, so in the end it would probably be about the same price for the new HF motor. Plus, I hear good things about the chinese one.

Finished the conversion of the vert. I'll try and fab a mount for it tomorrow. Then I can attempt to start and hopefully avoid a backfire due to no weighted flywheel. At the worst it will explode (probably just shear a key?), I got insurance, and as was mentioned HF has the cheapy.

This dude does a good series of convert explanation.
[youtube]sCWwqGr-td0[/youtube]
I love doing "just because" projects. It's sort of like someone has thrown down the gauntlet and challenged you to do something. :lol: Besides that, horizontal shaft motors are scarce around here, it seems everyone wants them for tiller or water pump motors.

Looks good man..

Hows the Predator treating ya?

My 2 8HP took a beating this summer and didnt miss a beat..

Best thing you can do is get rid of the foam air filter and get a after market one. The foam is not good as a filter..

Latest posts