Too wide?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtmonkey

Reaction score
Alright so I've been rebuilding a 2000 bass tracker and one of my main concerns has been the trailer. It has been in salt water it's whole life I'm guessing and never been rinsed off. Needless to say it's completely falling apart. The rust as taken over so bad that the frame has broken and the fenders are flopping around. So last night a buddy of mine gave me a trailer but you can tell it was probly set up for a 18' center console or something like that. It's a good bit wider than my boat but it is super solid and in great shape. It needs to be painted but mechanically it's perfect. What should I do? We've talked about cutting it up and narrowing it but that's gonna be a ton of work. Should I cut the back off my old trailer and weld a new frame on the back? The leafs are rusted really bad and it basically needs a complete over haul
f3b2bcad188242fa02d999c119839b1b.jpg
ea20ca8571e45fb61edbdb670b2fe8da.jpg
c1056f676224c3b8bd6396535c8856ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just my opinion. You are pretty much saying the first trailer is a goner -- dump it. The second trailer doesn't work for your boat. I would think, and you already admit, that narrowing the 2nd trailer is going to be a PITA. If you have the equipment and skill set and if you enjoy that kind of thing then go for it. Or, if OK with your buddy, consider using it without putting $ into it until you find a decent used trailer that will fit your boat. Then give the other one back to your buddy. If he doesn't want it back, sell it and give him the $$.

Clean up the new trailer and use it, but keep your eyes open for a trailer that's a better fit.

LDUBS said:
This is just my opinion. You are pretty much saying the first trailer is a goner -- dump it. The second trailer doesn't work for your boat. I would think, and you already admit, that narrowing the 2nd trailer is going to be a PITA. If you have the equipment and skill set and if you enjoy that kind of thing then go for it. Or, if OK with your buddy, consider using it without putting $ into it until you find a decent used trailer that will fit your boat. Then give the other one back to your buddy. If he doesn't want it back, sell it and give him the $$.

I've been welding and fabricating a long time so I'm not timid to it at all. I'm the kind of person that can't leave anything alone and I'd like to take what is there and make it an ideal trailer for my new build but I just don't know if I should just leave it alone. I think it just looks goofy to me

Your old trailer is a waste of time. Keep the axle if it's alright and scrap the rest.

The trickiest part of narrowing the new one is going to be where the frame angles into the tongue. The rest is just a matter of measuring, cutting, and welding the cross members and axle.

If it's a cambered or U shaped axle, that complicates things too. They really shouldn't be welded.

If it were me, I would use it as is until you could find one that's a better fit. Trailers aren't that hard to find, and you're looking at a significant time investment in modifying yours.

Leave the front of the V alone then narrow the sides and scootch them foward into the V. Sure you will lose a foot or two of length. Can you use your old narrow axle then? Guy with your fab experiance will make short work out of making one stought trailer that isn't so wide. I like it.

Dirtmonkey said:
.......I'm the kind of person that can't leave anything alone and I'd like to take what is there and make it an ideal trailer for my new build but I just don't know if I should just leave it alone. .............

Awww, that part I can fully understand and relate to. :LOL2:

Just move those bunks closer together, problem solved. Then you could run a board or expanded metal down one side to walk and stand on. Make launching and recovery of boat much easier and you will be the "boat ramp king" when everybody says how smart you are.
Tim

earl60446 said:
Just move those bunks closer together, problem solved. Then you could run a board or expanded metal down one side to walk and stand on. Make launching and recovery of boat much easier and you will be the "boat ramp king" when everybody says how smart you are.
Tim

That has been my current plan actually haha it'd be super simple and cheap to do

I was wondering what the issue with moving them closer was - thought there was some cosmetic reason you didn't want to do that.

Having a plank on the trailer alongside the boat would be fantastic for cold water launching - I'm going to have to seek out an over-sized trailer if I ever need to replace my current one!!

Hahaha I'm glad I could be the Ginea pig [emoji23]

Well like I said before, I can't leave anything alone
bf8fdee2e652470e5aa4ab46e975e9aa.jpg

2560adeedcefeaf675a6e767b808ada1.jpg

53f0a4b9d5253951c5b06540822ea9fe.jpg

a44e333010c23331dd0d2b95e8e6881c.jpg

0df79ae2aa6901a67200ae346b8cc486.jpg

I just realized I never posted any pics of the trailer completed. Still need to sand, paint and rewire but that will come with the boat build. I'll take some better pics during the day
bdbc005e4e773aa872e18e9c5ea5c168.jpg

Yea I just didn't feel like spending the money on steel just to have something I would potentially not even like. It fits the boat perfectly now so I'm happy with it

Dirtmonkey said:
Yea I just didn't feel like spending the money on steel just to have something I would potentially not even like. It fits the boat perfectly now so I'm happy with it

Either way the modifications to that trailer look fantastic. Nicely done.

Latest posts