Trailer undercarriage question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo Steele

Reaction score
Hi folks, got a question about a trailer I am "inheriting". The current springs are 27", and I can only find 24-25" and 30", slipper type. The shackles are 25" apart. The springs and axle are rotted, but the rest of the trailer is sound. The question... would it be safe to cut the undercarriage (angle iron about 30" long) and move the two halves apart to fit 30" spring packs. I am on a tight budget and like to save the $75+ for new galvanized undercarriage pair if possible. My trailer is rated for 1250#, but my rig will only run around 800@ maximum.

Not sure if this helps but when I went to replace my springs the measurement was way off because they had become flat. The springs I needed were actually 2 to 3 inches shorter. The slip in side was only 1/3 inch past the mount?

There is a shop nearby that deals with mainly boat trailers. You could give him a call and he might take the time to explain/advise what you would need even though your not instate.

Ask for Bobby, he is truly a boat trailer guru (251) 943-6683

Attachments

• badspring.JPG
    badspring.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 430
  • goodspring.JPG
    goodspring.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 430
Your springs are more than likely 26 1/8, thats the size for slipper spring with the mounts aprox 25" apart, the only thing I can find them for is 4k to 6k axles in my trailer book. 24 1/4 springs are the most popular for axles under 2k

I would give Bobby at Bay Utility trailers a call as sixgun said, I buy all my trailer parts from him! =D>

Latest posts