Motor up or down while trailering?

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
User avatar
bcbouy
Posts: 1369
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 12:29
Location: british columbia canada

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by bcbouy » 17 Feb 2018, 11:41

or you can just raise your bunks.
if all else fails....stop using all else

Xtremeboats
CedarRiverScooter
Posts: 879
Joined: 13 Nov 2014, 08:01

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 17 Feb 2018, 13:24

Or lower the hitch ball receiver.

User avatar
jethro
Donor
Posts: 1090
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:12
Location: Henniker, NH

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by jethro » 28 Mar 2018, 11:26

Good to see my thread still has traction here! I have a new (used) boat and now have to tow while the motor is up, so it came with and I will use the transom saver. It's a big boy, a 150 Merc Saltwater. It's barely high enough even at full up trim. Motor is almost as tall as I am.

Image

So in my opinion (and we all know what they say about them) the answer is "Up if you need the clearance, down if you don't".
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

ppine
Posts: 259
Joined: 02 Jul 2017, 12:31

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by ppine » 01 Jul 2018, 16:47

Motor up, transom saver and the wheel bungied to the windshield stantion to keep the motor straight.

thomasdgs
Posts: 42
Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 10:05

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by thomasdgs » 23 Jan 2019, 22:19

The first year I had my boat and motor I learned a tough lesson at the expense of my 80's Merc's immaculate original paint. Towing a boat with the outboard down on a gravel road will wreck the paint on your motor's lower end. After 45 minute of gravel with the motor down (strapped tight to prevent bouncing) the paint on one side of my lower end is more chip than not.

My outboard is only a 25 hp, but i transport it on the boat (bolted on all season), so I now use a transom saver.
20170604_121712.jpg
Before the transom saver.

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2397
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by LDUBS » 24 Jan 2019, 00:53

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use the transom saver to protect my outboard's PT&T, not to protect the transom. I was using a Cabelas transom saver that used a twist lock connection at the trailer.

Well, the worst nightmare happened. The end of the transom saver that connects to the trailer came loose and was dragging along on the pavement from the bungie around the lower unit. I was lucky that no damage was done other some some scratches in the OB paint. The connecting end of the transom saver was half gone from grinding along the pavement. I didn't care because I chucked it as soon as I got home. I have no idea how this happened.

So, I no longer use a transom saver. I now use one of the wedge style motor supports. The brand I use is M-Y Wedge. It is a lot easier to use than the transom saver.
Have Rod - Will Fish

eshaw
Posts: 311
Joined: 11 Mar 2017, 21:52

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by eshaw » 24 Jan 2019, 11:12

I don't see anything wrong with toting your motor on the transom without a transom saver if the motor is down and a light weight motor. I won't do it with it tilted up though. I imagine a light weight on the transom is fine but the bigger motors should be supported just because of the leverage they place on the transom in the tilted position. I agree that they are fine on the water but the road is a totally different animal when it comes to transferring shock loads versus water. The shock loads are totally different and a transom saver should be used. As far as the tilt/trim goes that unit is hydraulic and can absorb some jolts in compression.

GYPSY400
Posts: 298
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 21:01

Re: Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by GYPSY400 » 26 Jan 2019, 06:38

LDUBS wrote:As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use the transom saver to protect my outboard's PT&T, not to protect the transom. I was using a Cabelas transom saver that used a twist lock connection at the trailer.

Well, the worst nightmare happened. The end of the transom saver that connects to the trailer came loose and was dragging along on the pavement from the bungie around the lower unit. I was lucky that no damage was done other some some scratches in the OB paint. The connecting end of the transom saver was half gone from grinding along the pavement. I didn't care because I chucked it as soon as I got home. I have no idea how this happened.

So, I no longer use a transom saver. I now use one of the wedge style motor supports. The brand I use is M-Y Wedge. It is a lot easier to use than the transom saver.
So I take it you had nothing securing the transom saver other than the twist socket and the bungee around the motor?

I use a transom saver and also a rachet strap from the lower end to the trailer frame.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Superlucky
Posts: 23
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 12:38

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by Superlucky » 26 Jan 2019, 12:28

My last boat, a Klamath 14 came with a manual that clearly stated no transom saver was to be used.
I just bought a new Gregor Alaskan and I emailed Gregor regarding this issue. They too said that I was not to use a transom saver and leave the motor down when towing.

Food for thought.

Best regards
Bill

User avatar
thedude
Posts: 317
Joined: 22 Feb 2018, 21:36

Re: Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by thedude » 26 Jan 2019, 12:38

ppine wrote:Motor up, transom saver and the wheel bungied to the windshield stantion to keep the motor straight.
Same here. Mine is just as much a prop saver as the long shaft hangs down well past the trailer frame.

User avatar
bcbouy
Posts: 1369
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 12:29
Location: british columbia canada

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by bcbouy » 26 Jan 2019, 13:12

one of the benefits of the no feedback steering is it tends to stay in one position while the boat is being trailered.i drop the motor down onto the transom saver and it does not move at all as long as i compress the saver at least half way to the stop.
if all else fails....stop using all else

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2397
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Re: Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by LDUBS » 27 Jan 2019, 03:23

GYPSY400 wrote:
LDUBS wrote:As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use the transom saver to protect my outboard's PT&T, not to protect the transom. I was using a Cabelas transom saver that used a twist lock connection at the trailer.

Well, the worst nightmare happened. The end of the transom saver that connects to the trailer came loose and was dragging along on the pavement from the bungie around the lower unit. I was lucky that no damage was done other some some scratches in the OB paint. The connecting end of the transom saver was half gone from grinding along the pavement. I didn't care because I chucked it as soon as I got home. I have no idea how this happened.

So, I no longer use a transom saver. I now use one of the wedge style motor supports. The brand I use is M-Y Wedge. It is a lot easier to use than the transom saver.
So I take it you had nothing securing the transom saver other than the twist socket and the bungee around the motor?

I use a transom saver and also a rachet strap from the lower end to the trailer frame.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Yep, nothing other than the twist socket and some down pressure from the PT&T. Learned my lesson and feel I got away easy.
Have Rod - Will Fish

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2397
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by LDUBS » 27 Jan 2019, 03:34

Superlucky wrote:My last boat, a Klamath 14 came with a manual that clearly stated no transom saver was to be used.
I just bought a new Gregor Alaskan and I emailed Gregor regarding this issue. They too said that I was not to use a transom saver and leave the motor down when towing.

Food for thought.

Best regards
Bill
My previous boat was a 15' Klamath and my current one is a Gregor Sportsman. :D I used a transom saver on the Klamath because the outboard owner's manual (Merc) said to use it. Crazy.

Congrats on the Gregor Alaskan. Have you posted a pic yet? There is a place to do that under the "Boat House" forum.
Have Rod - Will Fish

eshaw
Posts: 311
Joined: 11 Mar 2017, 21:52

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by eshaw » 27 Jan 2019, 12:24

There seems to be a lot of conjecture on this subject and it's kind of interesting. Engine manufacturers state one thing and boat manufacturers state something else. Does it matter how the transom is made, be it wood, or wood sandwiched between sheets of aluminum, how thick each is, etc.. And what the engines, some use the tilt and trim, some don't, does that matter? How about when you add a motor jack to the mix, how much effect does that have on this issue? Lots to ponder here.

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2397
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Motor up or down while trailering?

Post by LDUBS » 27 Jan 2019, 23:54

Keep it simple. If you have clearance, trailer with the outboard in the normal down position. If you don't have clearance, tilt the outboard up and use a transom saver (or one of the other gismos) to support it.

I think this whole debate would go away if they were called something other than "transom savers". IMO, it is really there to support the outboard when it is tilted up. Maybe they should be called "lower unit supports" or "Skeg Savers".
Have Rod - Will Fish

Post Reply