Anybody use a trailer dolly?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
Relocated so new angle for backing up the boat is like a hard 90˚. Wouldn't be that bad except for the sprinkler head right there. I've thought about using a trailer dolly but there's a slight incline to the drive.
Anybody use a trailer dolly to assist in parking chores or just consider it one of those things? Thanks

I use one, but I bought it used/mint for $20 from Craigslist, so keep your eyes open. I can't say it reduces the push from the legs, but it sure saves the back!

But I just bought a larger boat (21') and have not so much as an incline, as a 'tight spot' that the combined vehicle and trailer can't really navigate (for turning) so I might have to get me one of the 12-bolt powered trailer movers. They sell units like these, which they make for 3000 or 5000 GMV weight, costing about $225 or more. A friend has one of the $1,000+ units and he says he could push his rig up a hill with it! He has a really bad back and it keeps him boating - so more power to him, no pun intended.

Downfall ... the less expensive ones"bolt" up to the trailer tongue ... But if you find a good one before I do ... ping me!

Attachments

• 12Volt Trailer Mover.jpeg
    12Volt Trailer Mover.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,221
FYI, this manual 'crank' operated (or could power using a cordless drill) Trailer Valet 5X gets really good reviews. Rated 4.4 stars for almost 300 reviews!

Some people report placing their 20' boats within inches of walls and such! Retails for $350.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Dolly/Trailer-Valet/STC-V211.html

Attachments

• TV5X.jpg
    TV5X.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,214
I made one from an old snowblower. Cut off the thrower part & welded on a support for a caster wheel & hitch ball. I changed wheels to some rider mower sized tires. I keep a utility trailer in the far corner of our lot so gasoline saves my shoulder & back from wear & tear!

I use one to move my trailers around.
I will have to watch for a snow blower.

I might just have to get that Trailer Valet 5X. You “crank it by hand” to move it or can power it by a cordless screwdriver. I need to move ~4,500 pounds and not sure if the snowblower would be geared low enough for where I need to squeeze down my driveway.

You might be surprised what a snowblower would push, but 4500lbs would probably be pushing it. Did you get the pun there :LOL2:

Anyways that snowblower setup is great. I have around an acre of yard to mow with some decent incline in spots, and lots of trees. When I moved here and decided it was time for a better mower my choice was deere 425 aws(all wheel steer). I got a good deal on it, and added a three point hitch to it for dragging a little grader box I made up for keeping up the gravel driveway. Well I also made up a 3 point hitch 2" reciever. I slide my ball in back the mower up to trailer push a lever to raise the 3 point. I use it to move my big flat bed car/junk hauler trailer around, backing the boat into the garage to work on it, moving my kayak trailer which I keep stashed in the corner of my yard by a shed. Being all wheel steer I can maneuver trailers around really well with it. I had a hand trailer dolley before it was ok on flat paved surfaces but grass or much incline forget about moving a trailer with any weight.

So idk what your current equipment situation is like but if you have a riding mower, zero turn, or little tractor mounting a trailer ball on it could work.

I welded one out of scrap metal and I LOVE it. bought the wheels at harbor freight.....prob cost less than $8, and it's in my top 5 of the most useful things I've ever built.

Attachments

• trailer dolly.JPG
    trailer dolly.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 1,999
I've used a harbor freight one for about 10 years. I think I paid $60 for it. Both tires wont hold air at this point so I'll probably just replace it as opposed to replacing the tires. They are very useful.

i was considering one until i aquired a brand new atv winch from a conversion on a piece of equipment at work that didn't end up happening. i mounted it and a small battery to my work bench and winch the boat in now.

Latest posts