TM Help Needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlF

Reaction score
I have an old TM, probably 25 years old. it sat for last 5 years unused at all. Hooked it up to a battery and it was a no-go. Lots of juice in the battery too.
Any thoughts on where to start first? My buddy is supposed to be dropping off a voltage meter tonight.

12V, dont think they made 24Vs back when this one was built!
I remember my Dad having it back in around 1985 and a buddy had given it to him used.

Does the prop turn by hand?
If so, my first guess wouldbe the switch. Probably from sitting the contacts got dirty,
Split the cover and bypass the switch to the 2 wires going down the tube. If it runs that way, get some contact cleaner (Radio Shack / Automotive?) and blast that switch a few times if you can get inside it a bit. Some are well sealed and other than melting a small hole in it there's no way to clean them.
You may still be able to find a replacement switch if you need to. They're fairly generic.Really not much to go wrong. If the motor is good, everything else is a cinch to fix (one way or another).

Bypassed the switches and put juice to the lower unit. No go. Appears that the motor is bad. Bummer.
Anyone need some parts for a really old motorguide????? Prop and head appear to be in fine shape!

I think Motorguide has a large heavy transister (Darlington Pair) down in that lower unit.
I'd take it apart and see.
If your a handy guy that is: :D

What have you got to lose?

How do I take it apart? Thought about pulling it off the shaft last night but could not figure it out.

Anything I'd say would be a guess. I had another old one apart that had two screws in the butt plate.
Dont take the shaft off though.
Are you sure there are no fasteners in the plate under the Prop?
Maybe a large Nut looking thing just behind the prop.
That might mean the whole plate would un-screw.

Go to Google and see what you can find using the numbers.

Latest posts