Trolling Motor Battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Got back from a short fishing day, battery trouble, I got home popped the caps on the battery and two cells under the first cap looked like tar, popped the second cap and the same thing. I added distilled water about a month ago. I want to get a sealed Battery, does anyone have a reccomendation?

Not sure who you know in I.T., but alot of the guys here are using AGM batteries that were once used as server backups. No idea what they run for knew, but used they sell for about $40 down here and everyone I've spoken to who has used them thinks they are alot of battery for a little money. Apparently, big corporations buy new ones every year even if they were never used??? The only downside I've seen is they are heavy (70-80lbs I think), but I've heard people say they can run them all day with no problem.

A friend of mine swears by the deka agm batteries they have lasted him for 5 years and he is on the water around 160 days a year
I priced the out at $149 for a 29 group battery not a bad price
my problem is i need to purchase 3 so i had to hold off

www.mkbattery.com

I have two group 24's that I got used and have had them for 2yrs without a problem. Just keep them charged.

You said that when you poped the caps off the battery you have it looked like tar, I think what your seeing is the lead plates that make up the battery. The level in the battery should be above them, adding distilled water is the correct thing to do. One of the causes of this would be overcharging or charging to high of amperage, which causes heat and will actually boil the water out of the battery. If this is the case it will also damage the plates and after a short time the battery will be junk. Another note on batteries and charging them is not all chargers can be used to charge AGM batteries, so if you switch to AGM's make sure you have a good charger.

I'm buying two 135 AH batteries for $40 ea. They are 100# ea.... #-o