Yard tractor battery for accessories

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass n flats

Reaction score
I picked up an everstart 12volt 230 cranking amps battery to use for my accessories (garmin echo 200, Magellan gps, bow and stern light, bilge pump, 2 cig adaptor plugs). I was giving everything a trial run and noticed that the battery was loosing a bunch of power. Bilge would barely spin lights were dim and the depth finder wouldn't even turn on. I know some people have used these types of batteries in the past with good luck. Was there a particular battery that people were using?

I'm planning to do the same thing this year but the everstart battery I have says it's 450 cold cranking amps. So even though they might be the same size, there is obviously a big difference in the amps these small batteries have.

Maybe a bit more info would help with the diagnosis. Are you sure the battery fully charged when you started, was everything in use at the same time (and if so, what were the outlets powering), do you know the total amperage load of all the accessories, and how long was it before you noticed the drop in battery output? You might also check for any parasitic drain on the battery (current draw when all accessories are turned off but the system is connected). Sorry for all the questions.

For sure I know that the battery is now fully charged and I will leave on the trickle charger over night. I did not have everything on at once. I started Witt the gps and stern light and there was not enough power to start the depth finder. They'll accessories had been hooked up to the battery for two days but none of them were on. I will let them run for a little bit tomorrow and see how fast the battery drains.

I use a riding mower 12v battery to power most of my electrical gear; fishfinder, nav lights, bilge pump, LED rope lights, livewell, and radio once I install it.

I use my group 24 or is it a 27 to run my trolling motor and accessory outlets.

Never had a problem draining the riding mower battery.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/040565-blains-farm-and-fleet-lawn-and-garden-battery.html
One I use. Also 230 amp.

Well I think I may have found out what the problem was....when I installed the battery I had to disconnect it for one reason or another. When I hooked the battery back to the fuse block the depth finder came on automatically and was on for several days without me noticing. I need to contact garmin and find out i this is normal for their DF to kick on when the battery is connected. I charged the battery and let the electronics run for a while and they barely touched the charge.

Good detective work. It is a bit surprising that the hookup voltage would get around the on/off switch. Regardless, you could always install an external switch in series upstream from the Garmin.

Maybe the fish-finder interpreted the connection to power as the first time it was connected and fired up. Some electronics will turn on when they are connected to power. You turn it off via the switch, and they stay on/off until it has been disconnected from power again. Then once it has power again, it will turn on.

Latest posts