Are these off-brand trolling motors any good?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieLearns

Reaction score
After a quick search of the Walmart website, I was stunned on how many off-brand trolling motors are available. They range anywhere from 30 lb thrust to an 86 lb 24 volt transom mounted trolling motor for $158. Some of the brands look like they came from the same factory. Costway, Goplus, Aleko and Newport Vessels all seem to have a 86 lb transom mounted trolling motor. Other brands are Outsunny, Watersnake, Ozark Trail, and Intex Trolling Motors. Are these the companies that make the generic Bass Pro Prowler?

As much as I would like to put one of these off-brands on my boat since I'm looking at replacing my trolling motor, none of them seem to be digital to extend my battery. As far as I know, only Minn Kota and Motorguide offer the digital on some of their models. Does anyone have any recent experience with any of these off-brands?

i have a haswing cayman bow mount #55 on my g3.it comes with a foot control and wireless hand held all for around $500.i can buy 3 of them for the price of a comparable minn kota.so far it's run flawlessly with around 400 hours on it.

While browsing these off brand units on Amazon it appears they are very similar if not identical to the brand named units, other than the stickers. Some of them have a good amount of positive reviews. The biggest complaints seem to be switches stop working, water getting into the motor and no positive stops for the speed controls. However most indicate customer service was good. They all seem to be 5 to 8 speed units versus variable speed.

If I decide to replace my 80's era 55 pound thrust transom mount motor I will certainly consider some of the more positively reviewed units.

One thing that anyone considering an "off brand" TM is the availability of a replacement prop. I had an old Evinrude which worked perfectly. Hit a rock and broke the prop's blade.

Even though lots of Evinrude props were available, none for the model that I owned. I tried buying a couple of "similar" props and modifying them. After two weeks of no fishing, I spent the money for a MinnKota.

So, check availability and maybe even buy one spare, just in case XYZ company goes out of business.

Oh yeah, the Evinrude ran backward versus the MinnKota.

richg99

That is a good point Rich. As I read some reviews some confirmed that some of these off brand units utilize the same parts as the name brand, props being one of them. Just do your homework and things should work out just fine.

most of the off brand tm's are not considered off brand in europe,asia and australia.just because they're new to north america doesn't mean they're total junk.a nice glass of minn kota cool aid anyone?

I agree, I like the haswig motors. I think that will be my first remote unit when I move up to a 16' v hull.

bcbouy said:
most of the off brand tm's are not considered off brand in europe,asia and australia.just because they're new to north america doesn't mean they're total junk.a nice glass of minn kota cool aid anyone?

Where would one go to see how well liked these unknown to me units are? Is there a European fishing forum you could point me to?

bcbouy said:
try gumtree.com.au. it'll list several you've never heard of.now you try.

That looks like a AU version of Letgo or Craigslist. I was hoping for more of a fishing or boating forum where they discuss and compare the motors that are off brand here but brand names there.

richg99 said:
You might check Amazon. The Aquas haswing has a couple of reviews. I usually don't trust reviews unless there are a lot of them, though.
richg99

That's exactly the issue. Not many reviews. We were told these are brand name units in other countries. So I am asking for some website that we can read about users in these other countries using them. I am trying to get off the Minn Kota cool aid.

came across an ozark trail which is actually a watersnake 44lb thrust motor at my local walmart on clearance for 100 bucks so grabbed it as a back up to my minnkota, ran it over the weekend for several hours and so far I'm impressed with it for the price.

Sometimes you DO get the identical product because I know for a fact (I worked in Asian factories for an American company) that many builders use the SAME assembly lines for their own knock off brands that they use for the major name, use the same injection molds, and parts. An unfair business practice for sure but who said the business world is fair? :)

On the upside of the brand name, there's not (IMO) such a huge disparity in cost (for me) to warrant getting the off brand. I recently bought a MK Endura C2 at $215. Not a bank breaker price at all, and I can get parts for it.

If a hundred bucks difference or so is a deal breaker in favor of a clone, then whatever risk / benefit to buying it is worth it to get fishing I would think.

gnappi said:
Sometimes you DO get the identical product because I know for a fact (I worked in Asian factories for an American company) that many builders use the SAME assembly lines for their own knock off brands that they use for the major name, use the same injection molds, and parts. An unfair business practice for sure but who said the business world is fair? :)

On the upside of the brand name, there's not (IMO) such a huge disparity in cost (for me) to warrant getting the off brand. I recently bought a MK Endura C2 at $215. Not a bank breaker price at all, and I can get parts for it.

If a hundred bucks difference or so is a deal breaker in favor of a clone, then whatever risk / benefit to buying it is worth it to get fishing I would think.

Interesting point I agree I've looked at some of these off brands on ebay and amazon. The price difference between them and what I got a nearly new minnkota powerdrive v2 off craigslist for was not worth it to me. Majority of my trolling motor use is smallmouth fishing rivers with lots of shallow shoals and snags galore. I've had a tendency to be pretty hard on the TM and have it take some pretty good hits accidentally drifting into logs or rocks. Being able to get parts and repair it is a big plus minnkota is probably the best in terms of parts availability and price of parts.

handyandy said:
gnappi said:
Being able to get parts and repair it is a big plus minnkota is probably the best in terms of parts availability and price of parts.

I just had to get a new control panel for my 2004 Minn Kota Powerdrive. It's pretty hard to justify saving a few bucks when a motor gave me 14 years of good service before I had to spend $75 to get it brand new again. I'll keep drinking koolaid.

Latest posts