Battery and charger under water?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10sne1

Reaction score
Irma, left my boat full of water. The water went over the battery and the onboard charger. What should I exspect from this happening? I look to turn on the battery switch tomorrow, to see if the battery discharged? Would it be dangerous to plug in the onboard charger to see if it is still working? Thanks for your reply. Ps all go after eye of the storm passed over our house, but found boat full of water, drain got blocked.
It is a regular cranking battery....

If it was not plugged in then there is a great chance you can dry it out and then plug it in. Electronic components are sealed but switches and stuff can trap water. Shake it out if you can and let it sit in the sun for a few more days before you plug it in. Batteries drain underwater but not real fast. Hopefully it's still good.

Yes, but definitely wait til your 110% sure it's totally dry. I used to sell electronics, typically it's not the phone drop into the toilet that kills it, it's the turning it on while it's wet that does. Instant short. Use a fan and wait a few days even a week, and it'll probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks. The battery that went under is strong and still fully charged, per separate charger. Have not tried the onboard charger yet, plan to wait a while.

Any time I have or know of anyone who submerges an electronic device, the best thing to do (IMO) is remove the battery if it's removable, set it in a warm spot, or set it in a toaster oven at around 100 (no higher) degrees for as many days as it takes to dry completely. Premature powering up will likely damage it.

In my case, I have yet to have a device lost post submerging it in water if totally dried out before powering up.

Latest posts