Bench / Gunwale support

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I saw the pic below in an ad for a 2008 Tracker Marine VGuide 16. It appears as if this style is discontinued by tracker but It seems an inexpensive, lightweight and sensible way to reinforce a bench (and a side benefit the gunwale) for a seat pedestal. Has anyone here done anything like this?

I'm thinking of a similar method, but to wrap the securing plate forward and aft (on the front and rear faces of the bench seat) for a bit higher (8"-9") pedestal seat mount instead of a clamp on type.

tracker_vguide_16.jpg

Looking at it I wonder if that ‘wrap’ method was discontinued because it didn't work. To me, if subject to any stress, I can see it shearing at the those hard 90-degree corners & bends.

I would think those are more to support the gunnels than the benches. Anyway, if I understand what is going on, it seems like a lot of effort for some straight-forward bracing.

LDUBS said:
I would think those are more to support the gunnels than the benches. Anyway, if I understand what is going on, it seems like a lot of effort for some straight-forward bracing.

Well, it may be a bit of effort but for lack of a better idea for bracing it seems as if Crestliner (at least on the 12' I looked at) is currently using the exact method I was thinking of whether it's for a bait well or bench seat I have no idea. The problem is I'd be adding another ~30 lbs to the boat and I'm not sure I want to do that. The floating seat cushions add nothing I wouldn't have aboard anyway.

Maybe for my next boat? :)

PS. I have no idea how this post got in electrical, it was not my intention.

crestliner_12ft_benchmod.jpg

Latest posts