Where to Mount Transducer on 36 inch Transom Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachFletch

Reaction score
I have a 1436 Alumacraft Jon boat and want to mount my small 83/200 kHz Skimmer Transducer to the starboard side of the transom. I will be adding a small plastic mounting plate first and screwing the transducer to it.

I have a 9.9 HP outboard.

About half way between the Plug hole in the center and the Starboard edge of the boat is a ridge. I Do not know the proper name of this part of the hull!

Also, when I run my boat up on the trailer, the bunk sticks out beyond the transom about 6 inches.
(I could either cut 7” off the bunk or reposition it 7” forward by drilling new holes in the bunk where it’s mounted to the trailer.)

Where is the best position to mount the transducer so I have minimal interference with water turbulence AND the bunk will not interfere with it?

Attachments

• 672CA1B1-053F-4943-AE55-35E77FC9EFAD.jpeg
    672CA1B1-053F-4943-AE55-35E77FC9EFAD.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 874
Not interfering with the bunk is easy, mark a place comfortably away from the bunk when the boat is on the trailer.

As far as what side of the boat it goes on... since I tiller steer, I mounted the transducer on the same side I sit on figuring it's more likely to always be in the water with the weight a bit more distributed on that side. I think if I had an Engine and had a side console I'd do the same.

Leave the bunk alone, you want to to stick out past the transom a little ways. Just don't place the transducer where it could hit the bunk, go beside it.

I believe the proper name for those ridges is strakes. You do not want those in the path of the transducer either.

If you have a tiller with an offset driver seat, and you do any sort of "sharpshooting" techniques (any type of fishing where you are watching your bait on the sonar), your transducer should be located where you can place your rod tip most comfortably. Typically (with the seat offset to the right), that would mean the transducer is close to the left corner of the transom.

Mr Giggles, my seat is offset to the right, and my cone angle for the transducer is only 20 degrees, so although it would make sense to put the transducer on the port side for verticle jig Fishing over the fish that I would see on the sonar display, the turbulence from the outboard propeller would be greater than if I mounted it on the port side.

Latest posts