Best Battery for my Buck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delmonte67

Reaction score
I've asked this question before, and recieved some answers and I wrote them down and then lost them this winter #-o I bought a new 50 lb. Minn Kota last year, my only battery is for my old 30 lb. motor, and the 50 only lasted maybe 1 1/2- 2 hours on this old battery. I need a new, longest lasting, best battery for my buck for my 50 lb. Minn Kota this spring. Thanks! D. 8)

russ010 said:
go to walmart and get the deep cycle Everstart Maxx 29 series... $70

X2 :D got one, awsome battery, performs great, I was told by the cashier to keep the Wally-World reciept and everyYear you can exchange it no questions asked there. Haven't done it myself yet to see how true?

FishingBuds said:
russ010 said:
go to walmart and get the deep cycle Everstart Maxx 29 series... $70

X2 :D got one, awsome battery, performs great, I was told by the cashier to keep the Wally-World reciept and everyYear you can exchange it no questions asked there. Haven't done it myself yet to see how true?

I've heard lots of people say that about the Walmart warranty on their batts. I have 2 Deka Marine batts in my rig (going strong since June '07), and when they finally bite the dust (not too soon I hope), I'll probably try the Everstarts. :)

As far as return with no questions... it depends on the Wal-Mart. One of my batteries went bad after 6 months and I took it in with the receipt to replace it. The Wal-Mart I go to has a machine that tests the battery to see if it's actually bad or not... luckily, my battery charger will tell me if my battery is bad or not, and the reading on it came back saying "bad bat".. It took wal-mart 1 hour to tell me the same thing I told the guy - I had a bad cell. But he said they had so many batteries coming back that the manufacturer gave them the machine, and the tape from it after declaring it a bad battery had to be attached to the battery before it could be returned.

I put Walmart everstarts in my offshore boat when I bought it in 1997. When I sold it in 2002, it had the same batteries in it, they never failed me after 5 years of abuse.

Wal-mart buys from the lowest bidder.

I buy my batteries from my local tractor/farm supply store and it has a 3 year warrenty. I know I can return it 2 years later and get a new one. Yes tehy will test it, however there is no additional cost and the batteries are roughly the same price. Interstate batteries. They also have longer warrenty periods which cost a bit more.

Hanr3 said:
Wal-mart buys from the lowest bidder.

I buy my batteries from my local tractor/farm supply store and it has a 3 year warrenty. I know I can return it 2 years later and get a new one. Yes tehy will test it, however there is no additional cost and the batteries are roughly the same price. Interstate batteries. They also have longer warrenty periods which cost a bit more.

Interstate batteries haven't been doing too well with a lot of boaters lately... the harder you use them (I'm tough on deep cycles), well, they just don't last as long as the wally world batteries I've been using.

Hanr3, Do you use your battery on a trolling motor, or just for starting ect...? I just want the longest lasting for my 50 lb on the non gas lakes. On the gas lakes, I'll use my 5 1/2 Johnson. Money does'nt matter within reason- just want the best. D.

if you have the money to send get an AGM battery they are fantastic but very exsensive you should be abe to have it last for years
they can be cycled over 400 times

I use my battery for my trolling motor and fish finder. I have a pull start engine so no battery juice for it.

Bringing this to the top. Looking at Wal-Mart everstart maxx for $100 w 2 year warranty. Or oreilys AGM for $130 w 1 year warranty. Similar cranking amps with everstart having a slight advantage. Thoughts?

best bang for the buck will be an optima blue top.crazy expensive and heavy as a box of lead(get it?)but it will outlast almost any true deep cycle out there.i've gone with the cheap batteries before and it was the typical "get what you pay for".10 to 12 hours to recharge a battery? pass.

Latest posts